Selecting ONE random product from each category

zq29

I have a table called 'featured' that holds 3 featured products for each category, at the moment I have 6 categories, leaving me with 18 products. I want to display one featured product from each category, so I wrote the query: [!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] * FROM `featured` GROUP BY category ORDER BY RAND() [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--] Although this picks one product from each category, it also doesn't do what I expected, it picks the same product from each category every time but just displays them in a different order. The products its picking appear to be the first product in the database of that particular category.

Any ideas on how I should go about pulling a random product from each category, instead of the same products in a different order?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.