installing Mysql help / dling it

rollingdice

Is it manditory to download mysql. I read this tutorials, and a couple of topics and i ended up going to the mysql site and download something. It was 23 mg, and being on dial up I wanted to know if it was manditory that i have to install this. If there is another option please tell me lol i don't feel like waiting 2 hours. Remember i'm just installing it so don't tell me things that i might not understandlol put it in noob terms thanks ^_^ -Dice

If you want to USE MySQL on your local computer, you really don't have any option but to install it - along with something that'll let you use your local computer as a server.

If you want to run php and MySQL and the GD library on your computer as if it were a server, then there's an 11.5 MB downloadable at www.firepages.com.au as a single package with a one-click installation. phpdev423 is perfect for all local development. I've installed it on Win NT, Win2K, and WinXP all without any problems whatsoever.

If you want to USE MySQL on your local computer, you really don't have any option but to install it - along with something that'll let you use your local computer as a server.

If you want to run php and MySQL and the GD library on your computer as if it were a server, then there's an 11.5 MB downloadable at www.firepages.com.au as a single package with a one-click installation. phpdev423 is perfect for all local development. I've installed it on Win NT, Win2K, and WinXP all without any problems whatsoever.

308061[/snapback]

So i have to have my computer act as the server... Meaning i would have to have it on all day...

Isn't there any way i can have it just run somewhere... i'm really confused, i just want to do a simple script that requires mysql and i have to do all that just for it to store information?

So i have to have my computer act as the server... Meaning i would have to have it on all day...
if you're planning on deploying the application, then yes, you would have to have it on all day. However, if you're just using it as a development machine, it would be on anyway, right? You're using it to develop the application!

But somehow I think you want to deploy it.

If you haven't already, you need to find a web host (or a server in the intranet) that has Apache (or some other web server), PHP, and MySQL installed.

Some good web hosts with PHP and MySQL:

1and1, Inc. (http://www.1and1.com) (one that I've used for client's sites)

Ace-Host.net (http://www.ace-host.net) (the one I'm using now)

Web Host Freaks (http://www.webhostfreaks.com) (the owners of this site and it's sisters)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.