Does Anyone Like Zend Framework 1 For Mvc?

HGeneAnthony

I was wondering does anyone here use Zend Framework with the MVC features? I think their components are tremendous, but every time I try to get into the MVC part of it I get annoyed because I feel it's way more complicated to do basic stuff than it should be. I also feel parts of the system seem to be less modular than I like, which is weird considering it's a very modular framework. My lack of understanding the framework complete might be responsible for my perceptions though. As far as frameworks go, I personally like Yii the best, followed by CodeIgniter. However, I've wanted to move towards Zend for awhile considering I already piecemeal their components and it seems like the best language for professional development. I was wondering what others think of Zend?

I personally never used the ZF1 MVC in a professional setting for the same reasons you mentioned, specifically the "module" setup felt weird and I couldn't get it to work properly. Many of these issues have been resolved in ZF2, though I haven't tried the Zf2 Mvc component either.

That said with the release of ZF2 I suggest you invest time in that instead of ZF1.

Edited by ignace

I tried ZF2 (a bit) and there were things about it which annoyed me for a different reason. Primarily I haven't found a way to generate code with it like in ZF1. The tutorial had me download a skeleton app from a website and there was a lot of copy and paste in the tutorial. I believe the layout was also saved outside the module which annoyed me. It also seemed more verbose than I like. I think as long as you follow standards you shouldn't have to do a lot of configurations. I really want to like it but it makes it hard.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.