Opinion: Pop Up Alerts Vs. On Page Display?

gsaldutti

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on the following. I am building a site where alert messages will be necessary rather often (such as, "You must check at least 2 boxes", etc). I can't decide whether to have these alerts as standard javascript POPUP alerts (where the user has to click OK in order to continue), or just have the message appear on the actual page in red font or something.

Anyone have an opinion either way?

• 2 weeks later...

I must agree pop up alerts are annoying. I don't think much people will favor them over a page display. Pop up alerts are like pop up ads in a way and nobody likes ads. When they see the pop up alert they probably think ads and will want to go in another direction . . .

And like Pikachu2000 said

what happens when a user has JS disabled?

You will have to have the page display anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

I am lacking in sleep at the moment, so forgive me if I missed something obvious here, but my semi-lucid mind has convinced me that you are considering processing some sort of user input like from a form with options a user would select from. That form would then be submitted to a form processor which I assume would be written in php since that is the primary focus of this site. You could simply show the alert above the form with the error inside <noscript></noscript> tags generated via php or some sort of fancy dhtml alert in the event that javascript is a viable option. Personally, I would just put a <div></div> with my "hey you screwed this up." message because pop-ups and extra clicking are annoying, but if you want to get fancy with it you could have your cake and eat it too. You could also do an ajax Form with ajax submission and a <noscript></noscript> with an old school generic form as a fallback if you want to process the form without showing the user a page reload. This would all be rather convoluted, but some people really dig the fancy bells and whistles and like using an elephant gun for squirrel hunting.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.