I Face Problems Trying To Learn Frameworks (Yii)

thomas.edison

Amigos,

Coming from desktop applications environment, I have been playing around with PHP for months now, I am so comfortable with it. I understood that frameworks should help me do many things better and faster; I see the benefit, however once I start learning it, I get many problems as I can not see the real base logic behind it and I get lost easily.

It seems to me that it is easier to build from the zero in pure PHP, rather than learning a framework, which I can not understand totally.

Yii was my choice.. I don't think it has anything to do with the specific choice... Any advice? Did I have a wrong approach ?? Advices about good resources to start with it??? or may be I should just keep it with pure PHP?!??

First learn the basics of PHP, before you start on a framework. That way you will be better equipped to understand the whys and wherefores behind the framework. Once you have a solid understanding of the basics and general PHP OOP, you'll find that most frameworks will make a whole lot more sense. Even if you don't necessarily agree 100% on all of the decisions. ;)

Just created an account to reply to your statement because I came from desktop application development also. Yii initially has a learning curve and then, you're like, stoked you have Yii in your toolkit. It's a powerful ally. I've committed to it and now enjoy it but it took a while before the "aha" moment was there and it all clicked. Experiment, learn, and ask the community if you're lost. Pretty friendly community for the most part. Good luck ;)

• 1 month later...

I'll add onto this thread rather than start a new one.

As another newb, I found it a struggle to get my head around frameworks but got on with it and eventually got Yii running and the basic CRUD going. Unfortunately the tutorials then become really hard-going, and getting any further with it seems really difficult. I don't know if I'll ever figure out the rest. I had a look at Symfony2's "The Book" and it was a breath of fresh air to start with, then I got bogged down in more unexplained confusion around the time of every app being a "bundle".

It seems every time I look at another framework it's like driving an underpowered car up a steep dirt track... I get so far and then come to a wheelspinning halt :)

Documentation suddenly hits a patch where things aren't explained, and my wheels fall off.

I've looked at RoR and Python ones like Django too, but eventually I hit a wall, discover I'm not happy with the licensing, or there isn't any community help that suits me. There's a puzzling lack of good forums in the Python world, it's all privacy-restricted google groups, mailing lists or IRC channels that need faffing about with NickServs... no thanks ::)

Great to see that PHP has good old forums. And although Ruby has some nice features, it seems to only thrive because of Rails, so it's not much use otherwise. I though Python might be handy to have in the old kitbag, but really I just don't need it either. I'm sorted for general scripts or GUI programs using other languages. And both Ruby and Python seem to be Swiss Army knives forcibly adapted into web use, as opposed to PHP being natively right for the job. So here I am!

Maybe I need to learn ALL the ins and outs of PHP and write something entirely by hand, and then come back to the frameworks. Maybe I'd be better off just manually adding to the basics that Yii gave me, ignoring the rest of the millions of classes and 'helpers'. It seems like it's more hard work to study the framework for months to get familiar with all of it, than to just write stuff myself!

I can cope with learning languages, syntax is easy. But learning a massive system that someone else has designed, leaves me screaming.

I wrote a test script that queries my MS-SQL database and shows me a table of results. I patted myself on the back for that, but it looks like cr*p - a 1990s style HTML table. I'm not a designer or artistic type; presentation and CSS bores me rigid. So I'm going to need something to make my efforts look presentable. So Yii seems great in that respect, as it make my efforts look part of this century. And I can understand the MVC principle too - it's just the rest of it that makes my head spin!

Any advice for me, please? Can anyone identify with this?!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.