Simple Publishing Site

jdratcliffe

Not really a fan of the layout - it needs some work in my opinion.

I don't get the point of the homepage either. There is no information just images. Some details about the site on the homepage would be nice. Also, the homepage images load kind of slow also (at least for me) - maybe make them smaller in size.

I am using Google Chrome on Windows XP.

I think you've mistaken clean for basic.

Clicking through the pages there's no consistency. Everything seems either randomly positioned apart or you have, for example the contact form, a bunch of content squeezed into a tiny box. It's fine to have a website without too much text content (though as others have said the point of the website is completely unknown), but you need to make better use of space. Add some margins between paragraphs, remove the harsh borders, let stuff breathe a bit.

The white background of the logo sticks out like a saw thumb. You could remove it, but you'll have another issue with the colour of the logo text and the background colour of the navigation; there's not enough contrast between the two. The hover colour of the navigation is also a bit brutal. Try using another shade of the same colour instead of dark grey.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one and try to give the site some structure and a common theme.

I think you've mistaken clean for basic.

Clicking through the pages there's no consistency. Everything seems either randomly positioned apart or you have, for example the contact form, a bunch of content squeezed into a tiny box. It's fine to have a website without too much text content (though as others have said the point of the website is completely unknown), but you need to make better use of space. Add some margins between paragraphs, remove the harsh borders, let stuff breathe a bit.

The white background of the logo sticks out like a saw thumb. You could remove it, but you'll have another issue with the colour of the logo text and the background colour of the navigation; there's not enough contrast between the two. The hover colour of the navigation is also a bit brutal. Try using another shade of the same colour instead of dark grey.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with this one and try to give the site some structure and a common theme.

Agreed.

• 5 weeks later...

The first page has large images that loaded slowly for me and where off-center. The log has a stark white background and a gradient behind it. It just doesn't fit well. That's as far as I could stand to go. Basically, the front page makes me write you off, not as a legitimate publisher, but as some kid in his room making a website about some magazine they like to read.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.