Do I Need To Install Drivers When I Install Ubuntu?

Stefany93

Hello fellas',

I would like to dual boot Windows with Ubuntu, so I ran the live session off the LiveDVD and it worked fine, like, the sound, the internet, everything was working. Now my question is, do I need to install network or sound drivers once I install Ubuntu, and if I don't have to, then how one earth is everything working while on Windows you need to install drivers for sure?

Thank you

Best Regards

Stefany

Unlike Windows, most hardware is natively supported in Ubuntu and does not require separate drivers to work.

The Linux system is absolutely independent from windows system.

I think it could be a good idea to post out the hardware' specifications of the machine.

Unlike Windows, most hardware is natively supported in Ubuntu and does not require separate drivers to work.

The Linux system is absolutely independent from windows system.

I think it could be a good idea to post out the hardware' specifications of the machine.

Thank you very much for the help!

I can't believe you don't need drivers on Ubuntu! I love it already!

Here is my laptop's specifications:

CPU

AMD K14

Hard Drives

313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-22JJ5T0 ATA Device (SATA)

RAM

4,00 GB DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Is your computer home build, or prefabricated? If it's the latter, then giving us the exact make and model will be the best thing you can do. Or, even better, check the Linux Hardware Compability list yourself. ;)

There are basically only two things to really consider nowadays, and it's the wireless card and possibly sound card (some laptop manufacturers just love to deviate from the standard). Almost everything else is supported out of the box, and quite adequately so. Especially if you're not looking into hardcore 3D-gaming.

However, if the Live CD worked fine, then you're good to go; It's exactly the same system as the one that's going to be installed on your computer.

PS: It's not that you don't need drivers, but rather that the drivers are already included. ;)

There's a small chance that you'll have to manually enable disabled hardware drivers for your video card.  Most of the video drivers are closed-source.

For ubuntu 10.4, there's an "additional drivers" menu in the Settings menu.

For 11 and 12, use the Ubuntu button to find "Additional Drivers."  

In both cases, you may have to click "activate" to turn on the closed-source drivers to get hardware acceleration.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.