A Little Bit Of Help With Variables

Jos

Hi, I'm completely new to coding in php. I'm stuck with this:

For a Joomla template I need to set up variables, using countModules. This is what I try to do, but I am getting nowhere:

I want to create a three column template, based on the Skeleton CSS Framework.

<div id="left" class="four columns"> <-- left sidebar

<div id="main" class="eight columns"> <-- Joomla component

<div id="right class="four columns"> <-- right sidebar

That's the basic template, with all three columns present. If one sidebar is missing, then "main" has to change from class="eight columns" into class="twelve columns". If both sidebars are missing, "main" has to change to class="sixteen columns".

I understand I have to set up variables first. I give them the value 0.

$left = 0, $right = 0, $main = 0 + ($left + $right)

Then I would use countmodules to count the modules, to get a value. Being 0 (no modules) or 1 (modules present).

If the total = 0, (no sidebars present) $main would be 0, and that should echo "sixteen" columns.

If the total is 1, (1 sidebar present) $main would be 1, giving echo "twelve" columns

If the total is 2, (2 sidebars present) $main would be 2, giving echo "eight" columns.

That's roughly how it should be, I think. But it doesn't work. Can anyone help me to get this working correctly?

Thanks,

Jos

Edited by Jos

countModules is a Joomla internal function. I don't know (yet) what an input is. I'm more into templating and general html rather than php, but working on it.

Where do I set the variables? In the top of the template, before the variables are called? Or when required, just above the Joomla countmodules?

When I echo a variable, to see if it works it echos the value I assigned to it, not what it should be.

I set the variables above the code: $left=0

Then the Joomla code:

<?php

if ($this->countModules ('left')) : ?>

<div id="left" class="four columns">

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="left" style="xhtml" />

</div>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php echo $left; ?>

It should give me the value of $left - but it doesn't. It shows me the value I gave it. It should be one (the module is present), it gives me 0.

Edited by Jos

Okay, great! Welcome to the world of coding in PHP.

So, by input I mean what do you pass into the function countModules(). The input is the text in between the parentheses, so in your example, it is 'left.'

I don't know anything about Joomla, but I read the description of that page about countModules(). It seems like you have three modules which you are trying to use, which are 'left', 'main', and 'right.' Is that correct?

I don't think you need to set the variable $left, $right or $main in your code. Instead I think you want to do something like this:

<?php
if ($this->countModules ('left')) : ?>
<div id="left" class="four columns">
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="left" style="xhtml" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php
// assumes no sidebars
$mainWidth = 'sixteen';

// detect if at least one sidebar
if ($this->countModules('left or right')) {
   $mainWidth = 'twelve';
}

// detect if both sidebars present
if ($this->countModules('left and right')) {
   $mainWidth = 'eight';
}
?>
<div id="main" class="<?php echo $mainWidth; ?> columns">
<!-- // main content here -->
</div>
<?php
if ($this->countModules ('right')) : ?>
<div id="right" class="four columns">
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="right" style="xhtml" />
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

That might be what you need based on your original description.

If you're curious about what the return values of $this->countModules() is, instead of

echo $left;

try,

echo $this->countModules('left');

Edited by sumpygump

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.