Re: Feature Suggestions

Hey All,

Some Linux support forums have a feature where, apart from their usual RSS, they have a feed that contains 10-20 of the latest unanswered topics

If PHP Freaks were to implement that, it would cut a lot of time for people who look around the PHP Help and other boards looking for topics with 0 replies, they can just look at the feed in their browser.

Thanks,
Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Under the stats of a user, there is a section where it says "Most Popular Boards By Posts" and has the bars going out. On other SMF boards there is a number beside it saying how many posts are in each of those sections.

Would be cool to see what the numbers are like.

Thanks!
KingPhilip

Similar to:
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=22649;sa=statPanel

Well, I've been looking around, and I think it has actually gotten taken off.

On Chronicles of War, we haven't upgraded the forum system, and it was a default option. I think they might have gotten rid of it :(
Ex: http://www.livedemo.com/scripts/smf/ or http://chroniclesofwar.com/forum/

they have it, but they are older forum systems.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

yeah i scoured the admincp and usercp from top to bottom and just couldn't find an option for that (on my board where I have full admin rights). 

I also tried to do a forum search for it on smf's forums, but didn't really come up with anything. I didn't try that hard, though.  I kept getting these posts with a bunch of code in them, so i gave up. 

I then tried googling it but didn't come up with anything either. Again, I didn't really try all that hard though.

However, I did notice that on smf's board, if you go to the user profile, it is missing a whole bunch of stats altogether.  So there must be some way to alter it. Maybe only from the code itself; i dunno. 

After reading through a lot of these posts I noticed how many feature suggestions there were.  So I've pinned up this topic for those of you that have a feature suggestion to put in the pot.

And just because you've posted it here doesn't mean it will be implemented, it's just to add to the brainstorming of a better community.  So whenever we're stuck on how to improve this place and we have some spare time to do it, we can look here to be inspired.

Of course by making this new topic I had one in mind so.

Once upon a time ago when we had IPB here
we had a feature called snapback....
Where instead of having to type the whole URL to reference a post
you just needed the post ID or post number and enclose it with snapback brackets
to make a link
Also, all posts had icons on them to copy a snapback [i]object[/i] to your clipboard

It be awesome if we could somehow implement that feature in again.

Just a thought for those SMF hackers out there or anyone else who thinks it's a good idea for the community

Actually this is still there.  The thing is that this is that once a site has gone over 100,000 posts, this is disabled automatically.  You can change this in Profile.php.

[code]
$result = db_query("
SELECT
b.ID_BOARD, b.name, COUNT(*) AS messageCount" . ($modSettings['totalMessages'] <= 100000 ? ",
b.numPosts" : '') . "
FROM ({$db_prefix}messages AS m, {$db_prefix}boards AS b, {$db_prefix}topics AS t)
WHERE m.ID_MEMBER = $memID
AND b.ID_BOARD = t.ID_BOARD
AND t.ID_TOPIC = m.ID_TOPIC
AND $user_info[query_see_board]" . ($modSettings['totalMessages'] > 100000 ? "
AND m.ID_TOPIC > " . ($modSettings['totalTopics'] - 10000) : '') . "
GROUP BY t.ID_BOARD
ORDER BY messageCount DESC
LIMIT 10", __FILE__, __LINE__);
[/code]

• 4 weeks later...
Given that the main theme of the Forum is PHP and that a substantial number of the problems are resolved by proper reference and use of the php manual section for a function or language element, if the [ CODE ] code was modified to produce automatic links to the PHP manual section for PHP keywords, it would be a plus for the Forum (see the www.codewalkers.com Forums for examples of this.)

• 2 months later...
I would like to see a forum, within the PHP section that deals with commercial book error. What I mean is a lot of us learn from PHP code books and a lot of these books contain errors. It would be nice to have a forum, with threads for a specific book title like "PHP and MySQL by Example" where we can report errors and the pages they appear. Some books contain sites where you can look up the errata but some don't.

Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...
Guest prozente
My suggestion is to add a checkbox to "Look and Layout Preferences" so that you can hide posts that have been marked as solved.
Having it enabled would make it so the solved posts won't show up when you select "Show unread posts since last visit"

• 2 months later...
I would like to see a link where a user can view all the posts they've started in an easy to reach place.  Sometimes I like to look at my posts and see what answers have been or refer back to them later on down the road.  This would be an easy way to see them at a glance and even mark them as solved once a person has had a chance to try out the suggestions that were left for him/her.

The current link is ok but if you have already seen the posts, or marked it solved, or posted a follow up and not received any response back to your query then it is not shown.

Thanks,
Chad

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I am new here but already I have had problems with searches.
For example I type in some search terms and hit search and if my search terms contain some programming code words I get topics or replys that have pages of code rather that discussion text.

Is there a way to specify what you are looking for ie. CODE or discussion or both. 

So that if you are looking for section of code that use key words  such as [color=red]FROM SELECT SERVER  [/color] then the code will be the relavent item, and if you are simply looking for a disscussion where some one was asking [color=red]how to select something from the server [/color] you would get different topics depending on the option selected (code, discussion, both/either)

• 7 months later...
I may have missed this feature, but ....

is there a way to a list of topics that have not had an answer to them within a forum?

I would like to help people if I can, and a link to a search like this would allow me to quickly see the ones that have not had a reply that I think I could give some help on.

[quote author=ocpaul20 link=topic=114730.msg943975#msg943975 date=1216632353]
I may have missed this feature, but ....

is there a way to a list of topics that have not had an answer to them within a forum?

I would like to help people if I can, and a link to a search like this would allow me to quickly see the ones that have not had a reply that I think I could give some help on.
[/quote]

At the top of each board is a list of columns you can sort by, sorting by replies will list threads containing 0 replies first.

Be aware however that just randomly replying to threads with 0 replies is likely to bring allot of old posts to the top which isn't always a good thing. Generally if people haven't had there problem solved here within a few days they have had it solved by some other method.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.