Could You Give Me A Review Of A Site That I Am Working On

mdmartiny

First I checked the contact page of course O.o It seems weird the information you're asking. As well as when you submit the form it says new password sent...? k... You have a few 404 errors here and there. When you log in with invalid credentials the error message is weirdly placed (in the bottom right corner). The links once logged in are hard to read as well. And then....the index page went blank so nothing else I could look at. That's it I guess

First I checked the contact page of course O.o It seems weird the information you're asking. As well as when you submit the form it says new password sent...? k... You have a few 404 errors here and there. When you log in with invalid credentials the error message is weirdly placed (in the bottom right corner). The links once logged in are hard to read as well. And then....the index page went blank so nothing else I could look at. That's it I guess

I ask for that stuff because I am trying to get input about how people browse and if there is any issue with certain browsers stuff like that.

Where were the 404 errors?

I will work on the links and try to make it easier for them to be read.

Why the page went blank I have no idea.. I just tried and it worked fine for me.

Thank you for your feedback and your input.

I ask for that stuff because I am trying to get input about how people browse and if there is any issue with certain browsers stuff like that.

You can extract most of the information you ask for from their user agent, found in $_SERVER. The browser size, or "resolution", you can get using Javascript, and infer whether it's a desktop or mobile based on that.

Anyway looking at the design side, I'm not keen on the logo, the font looks stretched and out of place. None of the fonts really work that well together to be honest. There's no consistent colour scheme or design, it just seems a little random; like the spacing between the left and right column on the home page, compared with the spacing between the header and footer. Consistency goes a long way. Also a minor thing, but when a hover/click effect jerks around the rest of the page, it doesn't work!

It's not a bad start, but I think you've fallen into the common traps; big round corners, blocky shadows, random fonts, etc. I would try and be more subtle, keep things consistent, give the content a bit of room to breathe, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I really just can't find anything good to say about the site. The layout is pretty horrific and it is because of the things that Adam mentioned about the corners, shadows, fonts, etc.

The thing that stuck out, once I got past the layout disaster, was the the links in the middle to the 'shortened' urls. I realize it is probably just because this is a work-in-progress, but the links aren't to shortened urls, but rather direct links to the websites. On top of that, they are shorter than your version of the link.

For the layout, think about what you are trying to achieve. You want A (as in the singular, one, uno, eine) website, but what you have here feels like multiple things have me by the arms and legs and are dragging me in different directions. Tone down the bevels, shadows and curves. Add padding so the text isn't crammed against the borders and trying to escape. If you are going to put things into separate boxes, at least make all the boxes line up better. It looks like you opened up Microsoft Paint and drew some boxes, without regard to the sizes of the other boxes, and then filled them with your site content.

I am in the process of changing the layout. I am going to use the 960 grid system on it. The design aspect of web development is the weakest part for me. I am trying to learn and together a better eye when it comes to that stuff.

Hopefully I will have a new layout by the beginning of next year. Since this is something that I work on in my spare time.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have gone through and redid the entire site. I would appreciate it if you guys would let me know what you think of this new design and make sure that everything works. Properly on it. I am still in the process of coding it for Firefox.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.