In And How It Handles Duplicates

galvin

Say you are running a query using IN and the ids you are "looking in" contain duplicates. See example below where there are three "4"s. It seems like IN is ignoring the "extra" 4s because I am only getting the info that goes with ID #4 ONCE (so I assume IN ignores duplicates by default)

Regardless, how can I make it so I do in fact get the info for ID #4 returned three times? Is that possible, or should I approach it differently?

$q="SELECT *  FROM  players  WHERE playerid IN (1,2,3,4,4,4,5,6)";

Yes, it will only return a matching row once regardless of how many times it's value appears in the IN clause.  No, afaik there is no way to change that.  If you need it multiple times, you'll have to do that after the fact in your PHP code.  Select each row's data then duplicate it when you read the results if necessary.

It may be helpful to describe what exactly you're trying to do, perhaps someone can provide a better approach.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.