Select Data From A Different Table

frostiecuk

Hi all

I'm having fun and games (well, not really fun) trying to get a SELECT statement to work on a wordpress website and wondered if anyone out there could help.

Basically I am trying to retrieve 10 posts that have an expiry date of today. Selecting 10 posts is fine, the problem start when I try to filter it based on date.

SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE post_type = "listing" LIMIT 10

However the expiry date is held in a different table;

Table: wp_postmeta

Field: listing_expiry_date

Date: is stored in a column called meta_value (in mm-dd-yyyy format)

I suspect the link between wp_posts and wp_postmeta takes place using post_id. Although I know what it is that needs to happen, I'm at a loss as to how to code it correctly;

SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE post_type = "listing" WHERE meta_value IN listing_expiry_date in wp_postmeta = TODAY LIMIT 10

Can anyone please advise how to go about this?

Many thanks

Edited by frostiecuk

Use a JOIN

SELECT *
FROM wp_posts
INNER JOIN wp_postmeta USING (post_id)
WHERE post_type = 'listing' AND listing_expiry_date = '11-29-2012'
LIMIT 10

edit

PS. your date format is pretty useless. You should use DATE type fields, format yyyy-mm-dd, which allows for comparisons and sorting and can be used by the inbuilt shedload of mysql datetime functions

Edited by Barand

Hi Barand

Firstly many thanks. I got an error "Unknown column 'post_id' in 'from clause' but based your suggestion have concocted the following;

SELECT *
FROM wp_posts
INNER JOIN wp_postmeta ON wp_posts.ID = wp_postmeta.post_id
WHERE post_type = 'listing'
AND post_status = 'publish'
AND meta_value = '11-29-2012'
LIMIT 10

This works a treat, however now I need the date to be dynamic (i.e. not an actual date, but @Today). I've tried GETDATE TODAY AND CURDATE but nothing seems to return the correct results. Any ideas on this last tweak?

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.