Which Page To Insert From? (Account Validation)

justlukeyou

Hi,

I have a piece of code for a registration script which appears to be working fine. It inserts the name, email address and password into the database. It also forwards an email to the submitted email. However I now need to insert a character into the database from the email address to authorise the email. (quite standard)

But I'm struggling to understand the best approach to take. Should have a second insert code on this page or should I (somehow) insert the character using the Activation page?

<?php
   $_SESSION['userLoggedIn'] = 0;
   $_SESSION['userEmail'] = '';
   $_SESSION['userID'] = '';

// Reset errors and success messages
   $errors = array();
   $success = array();

// Register attempt 
   if(isset($_POST['registerSubmit']) && $_POST['registerSubmit'] == 'true'){
   $firstname = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_POST['firstname']));
   $surname = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_POST['surname']));
    $registerEmail = trim($_POST['email']); 
    $registerPassword = trim($_POST['password']); 
    $registerConfirmPassword    = trim($_POST['confirmPassword']); 

if(!isset($firstname) || empty($firstname)) {
    $errors['firstname'] = "Please enter your First Name.";
   }

if(!isset($surname) || empty($surname)) {
    $errors['surname'] = "Please enter your Surname.";
   }
$email = "$registerEmail";
if(!filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
 {
    $errors['falseEmail'] = "Please enter your email address in a valid format.  Example: bobsmith@companyname.com";
 }

if(strlen($registerPassword) < 6 || strlen($registerPassword) > 12)	
	    $errors['registerPassword'] = 'Your password must be between 6-12 characters.'; 

if($password != $confirmPassword && !$error) {
    $error = "The passwords you entered did not match.";
   }

if($registerPassword != $registerConfirmPassword) 
	    $errors['registerConfirmPassword'] = 'Your passwords did not match.'; 

if(strlen($registerConfirmPassword) < 6 || strlen($registerConfirmPassword) > 12)	
	    $errors['registerConfirmPassword'] = 'Please confirm your password.';	

if(!$errors){
$registerPassword = md5($registerPassword);
$query = "INSERT INTO users (firstname, surname, email, password, date_registered) VALUES ('" . $firstname . "', '" . $surname . "', '" . mysql_real_escape_string($registerEmail) . "', '". $registerPassword ."', NOW())";

$result = mysql_query($query); // remove the or die(mysql_error()) code after you resolve the error
 if($result){
	  $success['register'] = '

Thank you for registering with Website.com.</p>
   You will soon receive a confirmation email.  Please click the confirmation link.';

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE email = '". $registerEmail ."' OR email = '". $email ."'");
$emailduplicate = null;
if (mysql_num_rows($query) > 0)
{
$emailduplicate = 'Email Address is Already in Use.  Please <a href="http://www.website.com/test/activation.php?userid=Y">Retrieve Your Password</a>.';
}	  

$message = '
<html>
<body>
<p>Welcome to Website.com</p>
<a href="http://www.website.com/test/activation.php?activation=Y">Click Here</a> to activate your account.

</body>
</html>
';

mail(mysql_real_escape_string($registerEmail), 'Website.com Confirmation', $message, 'From: info@website.com' . "\r\n".'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n".'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n");

}
  }
  }

?>   

When registering the user, insert the uniqid string into a table filled with verification links. Email the link to the user activate.php?link=link

Using $_GET extract the link the user put, if any. Select from the table to see if it matches any, if it does, delete it and activate the user.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

How do I use uniqid(). I have tried to echo it into the link and insert into the database but nothing seems to work.

When I echo a uniqid it does appear on the page but when I try to echo it into the link it just shows the code. Or would apply the uniqid to a string and then echo the string into the email so that I dont have two seperate uniqid code?

As per normal I dont understand a word of the PHP site: http://php.net/manual/en/function.uniqid.php

This is where I am at the moment, what ever I try and cant apply the uniqid to anything.

<?php
$uniquecode = (uniqid());
?>
<?php
   $_SESSION['userLoggedIn'] = 0;
   $_SESSION['userEmail'] = '';
   $_SESSION['userID'] = '';

// Reset errors and success messages
   $success = array();

// Register attempt 
   if(isset($_POST['registerSubmit']) && $_POST['registerSubmit'] == 'true'){
$usertype = ('organiser');  
$activationcode = ('"%uniquecode"');

Why do you have an obsession with wrapping things in parenthesis?

Do you really not know by now the difference between these three lines of code?

$a = $b;
$a = '$b';
$a = "$b";

Because your code consistently shows that you don't, even after being told dozens of times.

Why do you have an obsession with wrapping things in parenthesis?

Do you really not know by now the difference between these three lines of code?

$a = $b;
$a = '$b';
$a = "$b";

Because your code consistently shows that you don't, even after being told dozens of times.

No, I dont understand this and I dont understand the PHP site either.

What is the difference between these:

$a = $b;
$a = '$b';
$a = "$b";

In terms of this I have tried around 5 variations of this and cant get it to work. This just happens to be lastest attempt I have shown here.

$activationcode = ('"%uniquecode"');

@justlukeyou: make a test script:

$b = 5;

$a = $b;

echo '$a = $b: ' . $a . '<br />';

$a = '$b';

echo '$a = \'$b\': ' . $a . '<br />';

$a = "$b";

echo '$a = "$b": ' . $a;

Whenever you don't understand something, make a small test script to try out the concept. And work in small increments (think of something -> test it -> integrate it if it works -> repeat). It's far better to do it that way than with your usual "Throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks" method.

:facepalm:

Okay:

1. Don't use quotes unless you're trying to output text.

2. There's a difference between single-quoted text and double-quoted text:

a. Single-quoted text is literal. Meaning, whatever is in that text will be printed as-is. If you have '$a', it will print $a.

b. Double-quoted text interpolates variables. Meaning, if you have "$a" it will print the value of $a.

Regarding $activationcode, don't use quotes at all in that context. If you're not printing to screen, don't use quotes around a variable.

---

From a fundamental level, you need to improve on your reading ability. The official PHP docs are written at a middle-to-early-high-school level. They are some of the easiest documentation to read (seriously, try reading the MSDN). Now, I don't know if you have a learning disability or something, so I'm trying to tread carefully, but being able to read and understand documentation is a foundational ability for any programmer trying to do it for real. It's only going to get tougher from here on out.

Its kist the technique of applying $uniquecode to $activationcode. This currently inserts $uniquecode instead of the uniqid which it previously echoes.

$activationcode = ('$uniquecode'); 

You really don't see the link between what we are telling you and your code?

Do you actually have a learning disability? I think Kevin hit the nail on the head there. If not, then I go back to my previous conclusion that you are a troll. A weak one at best, but either you are a troll or you have a learning disability. 

Bootiful.

The activation code is that last stage I have to do. Thanks to you guys I can now insert the uniqid into the database. Now I need to insert it into the email for the link so I can match it on the activation page.

The problem now is I cant get PHP to work in the email.

$message = '
<html>
<body>
Welcome to website.com <br><br>
<a href="http://www.website.com/test/activation.php?activation=<?php
echo "$activationcode";
?>Click Here</a> to activate your account.

</body>
</html>
';

BTW I've followed peoples advice of using one database. The PHP will be easier but the design will be harder. See how it goes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.