How To Find Freelance Projects?

Stefany93

Hello,

I was wondering if you could please give me some pointers on how to find programming freelance projects. The only freelancing I have done so far was throughout friends and occasionally people on forums, but I have heard there are many ways by which you can score a project. I tried google it, but I couldn't find anything relevant. I have also created profiles on various freelancing websites, but I was wondering if there are other way?.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards

Stefany

Edited by Stefany93

I tried google it, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

"php freelance" got me a lot of results, not sure what you were trying ;)

I have also created profiles on various freelancing websites, but I was wondering if there are other way?

Until you get word of mouth, or repeat business, sometimes these are the only ways to go. You could try hitting up local mom & pop shops and convince them to upgrade their website, etc.

I'm a fan of doing local business. Online freelance gigs always struck me as a bit sketchy as there's little to no face-to-face contact. Being able to actually sit down and talk to a client is invaluable. For one, it makes the consultation process go a lot smoother. But, it also reinforces that human connection. It's easy for one side to screw the other over if they're just an email or IM entity, especially if they're in another country. Interacting with a real person is grounding.

Local businesses tend to fall into three categories:

1. They don't want a site

2. They don't currently have a site, but want one

3. They have a site, but it's shit

There's not much you can do with category 1. Category 2 is nice, but it tends to be filled with clueless clients that drag their feet and are indecisive. Worthwhile, but also frustrating. Category 3 is the honey pot - you can sweep in and save the day, thereby getting yourself both a nice payment and future business as they usually spread the word and offer glowing reviews. They also tend to know what they want, and are willing to work with you to get it done. However, since they feel letdown/burned/betrayed by their last developer, trust is an issue. Earn that trust, and they'll be in your corner forever.

How do you find local businesses to work for? Ask your friends and family if any of the places they frequent have a site. Go to your local hangout places and offer your services. Every town has at least a couple of small business owners that want more. And if you can satisfy them, more will appear.

One word of advice: in the rush to get new clients, don't oversell your abilities too much. The worst kind of developer you can be is one that over sells and under delivers. Then again, people like me make money cleaning up those kinds of messes....

Local businesses tend to fall into three categories:

1. They don't want a site

2. They don't currently have a site, but want one

3. They have a site, but it's shit

One word of advice: in the rush to get new clients, don't oversell your abilities too much. The worst kind of developer you can be is one that over sells and under delivers. Then again, people like me make money cleaning up those kinds of messes....

+1 for both of these items.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.