Why Css And Not Table?

mostafatalebi

Hello everybody

I have been always recommended not to use tables for non-tabular data and not use it for layout purposes. For layout purposes, instead use <div> and CSS. Why? It is much more harder to control the flow of layout elements using <div> tag. For instance I have a website, that content are mainly placed in three section: left bar, center column, right bar. The two marginal bars are for links and new, and the center area is for main content. Achieving this with <div> is much more harder, it slips. For instance, I use float:right/left but it doesn't work while using three column tables I easily manage my layout. Please HELP ME

As for the why: its just wrong to use tables. It might work, but its bad practice. It makes it harder for people using screen readers. An analogy might be using "txt spek" to write a term paper. Can you be understood? Yes. Is it correct? No.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.