Do you disable JS in your browser?

neylitalo

Do you disable Javascript when you're browsing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you disable Javascript when you're browsing?

• No
    • Yes

I dont disable javascript fully but dont allow the use of javascript for the resizing of windows or chgnage position of windows etc. I just disallow what firefox can disallow in the Web Fetures panel, then clicking the advanced button that provides a list of features you can disallow. I only allow the bottom two options and thats it.

oh its on.

even if I wanted it off, there are to many poorly designed sites that just don't fuction without it.

preaching to the choir - reminder that search engine bots generally don't (read "never") read javascript, so if you have site content that is javaScript dependent make sure you use <noscript> tags. They are as important as "alt" and "title" properties on your images.

i usually turn JS off the reason is that my PC is pretty slow and some sites use JS in such a way that it takes up a lot of processing power and that slows the PC down a lot.

if the site doesn't work in JS, i usually dont browse it. actually i don't browse the internet so much to begin with...just a few PHP tutorial sites, google and some forums (haven't been doing much of that lately either but that will change next week :D)

• 3 weeks later...

well i have it on most of the time, somtimes i just turn it off if my securety spots anything, and also i'm a big fan adding use-abilaty without loosing it, thats why i love php so mutch, its server side so it aint got nothing to do with the visitor, it will work with or without javascript, so i know allready i aint going to love AJAX, but thats not what we here to discuss, i dont know, it aint yes, it aint no, so does sometimes count for somthing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest neewah

The advantages would be far more than the disadvantages: Disabling Javascript would be a pretty bad idea since lots of websites rely on it even to load half the content. Also being a bit of a Javascript addict myself disabling it would be completely hopeless since i wouldn't know what i was coding. Total madness.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i always have javascript enabled.  i like the javascript console that comes with firefox, too.  handy for debugging your stuff.

i think all it takes is wits to stop any javascript security threats, but that might be a naive position.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I care about security so I always disable it, unless it is a website that I trust and there is actually a good reason to enable it (E.G. the website fails to function without it).

When it is disabled, XSS is either completely impossible or close to impossible. (XSS = stealing your passwords/identity/personal information E.G. credit card numbers phone numbers etc)

Some (paranoid, IMO) users decide that Javascript is a security threat and disable it. It can indeed be a security threat, but I wouldn't be surprised if most (all?) browsers are intelligent enough to block malicious activity.

I leave it on.  The site I develop pretty much requires it.  I'd love to take the time to make sure everything works with or without Javascript but the bottom line is the site is intended for a very specific audience and we can pretty much tell them, "You have to have Javascript turned on."  It really doesn't matter if robots can crawl our site as they can't really get to much without logging in to start with.  Basically when I have an impatient project manager jumping up and down behind me going, "Is it ready, is it ready?  When can I sell it?" and I have to make a choice between cool (read asynchronous requests) or accessible, I have to lean towards cool.

As far as being a security concern, I think there's just too big of a market of people who don't know how to use their PC.  I've always been into PC games so performance is always a top priority for me.  As such I've never run any firewall or anti-virus software.  It's been years since I've done it, but back in college I downloaded my fair share of multimedia and cracked software.  I've spent probably at least $1000 / year online since 1998, some years more, and I do my banking and pay bills online.

Number of problems I've had: Zero.

Maybe once a year I'll run AdAware and it'll pick up one or two spyware things and about as often I'll run AVG and it never finds anything.

People just need to learn to be careful what they click on.

True, you could just NEVER click on ANY links from emails, and NEVER go to ANY websites that you don't completely trust.

But personally, I think it's easier to just not let people run javascript on my computer except where there is a good reason to (like for sites that can't run unless you let them use javascript).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.