Php Beginner- Tasks Needed

phpchild321

Why not look on the W3C website and work through the things on there. Do you know any other languages? If you dont know any other programming languages it would be good to start learning the logic of programming, loops and the lark.

I started learning PHP when someone asked me to make an ecommerce website. So I learnt how to do that first, creating sql queries and running them on a database and then returning the info in a table.

Have fun with it!

Starting with something you want to make is a good option, just don't make it something too big or advanced. At least not right away, it's always possible to build upon it later on. ;)

I'd recommend something simple as a guest book, blog, simple game, music/films listing, and so forth. Lots of possibilities, and it's only your imagination that's the limit.

One thing that should be mention: Do this as a learning experience only, and don't put anything into production. At least not until after you've had it vetted by a security expert, at least.

http://php.net/manual is usefull for checking functions, w3.org is usefull for validating html. As an organisation W3C has nothing to do with PHP. That some people may have blogged a tutorial here or there I can't comment, but there is no actual W3C training in PHP (that I know of, if there is: I'd like to see the link). tizag.com is a good place to start (in my oppinion), and there is no substitute, in my mind at least, for a good paper book (or 4) as a learing resource.

The are masters of SEO.

it behoves them to get as many people on there that don't know any better as they can.

Are they not the same people then? I have been living a lie!

Its not fantastic, but can be a good point to start off.

I have got to dissagree with that, learning how to do it wrong at the beggining can be a major setback. learning bad, outdated and depraciated functions and coding as well as worst practises only leads to more confusion than there would have been if a propper resource had be used in the first place.

I have got to dissagree with that, learning how to do it wrong at the beggining can be a major setback. learning bad, outdated and depraciated functions and coding as well as worst practises only leads to more confusion than there would have been if a propper resource had be used in the first place.

Well, I cannot argue with that! I withdraw all my previous statements about w3schools etc. Stick to PHP Freaks! :)

It's still my opinion that: outside of a structured learning environment, nothing is better than a few (never trust a single source for anything factual) good, up-to-date books as a learning tool. the net is a great refference resource, but not s**t hot for learning (too many distractions). phpfreaks and other forums are great to bounce ideas off and get some additional clarification - and even inspiration - on anything that would normaly have been delt with by "asking the teacher" (a process infinately more difficult when using a book to learn....) .

The internet, as great and wonderfully junk ridden as is, is still a long way from being a substitute for a proper education in a subject (it is bloody handy for a pub quiz though).

A name/address app is a good thing to start with. Gets you understanding basic PHP syntax and database interaction. Allows you to understand a little bit of design work and can be developed into something more advanced. The most simple form is storing somebodies name and address only, which can be progressed to handling more information such as contact details an "other information". You can then go further and break into object-orientation, AJAX, multiple persons details at once, searching your database, creating an authentication system and so on.

Any one task/project can be as advanced or as simple as you want it to be and usually depends on the specification.

Edited by CPD

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.