Using Sum In Mysql

phpjayx

$sql_select = "SELECT *, SUM(NUMBER5) from Data where userid='" . $param['userid'] . "' order by timestamp asc";

$query = mysql_query($sql_select, $link);

$result = mysql_fetch_array($query);

return $result;

This is the other code I was trying to play with... again, I haven't gotten it to work. So I'm sure there are lots of things wrong with it.... I'm a newbie with this stuff.

I think combining * and aggregate function in select query together will not give right answer...

You can use like this, to get sum of number5,

$sql_select = "SELECT SUM(NUMBER5) from Data where userid='" . $param['userid'] . "' order by timestamp asc";

or if you want to find sum of all users, you can use like this...

$sql_select = "SELECT userid, SUM(NUMBER5) from Data group by userid";

Edited by sowna

Ok, thanks for the help that helped me get this below to work.... but now I need to add onto this... If I have an unkown number of userid's I want to add up, which will be stored in one field (OWNEROF), this will be comma dilleniated (example 14, 23, 49).... So still adding up NUMBER5, but where userid= any of those values... How do I get that into the below query?

Along the same lines... is there a way in the database itself to assign a field to always SUM values?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

$query = "SELECT *, SUM(NUMBER5) FROM Data where userid='" . $param['userid'] . "' order by timestamp asc";

$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

// Print out result

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){

echo "Total ". $row['type']. " = ^". $row['SUM(NUMBER5)'];

echo "<br />";

}

////////////////

If I have an unkown number of userid's I want to add up, which will be stored in one field (OWNEROF), this will be comma dilleniated (example 14, 23, 49).... So still adding up NUMBER5, but where userid= any of those values... How do I get that into the below query?

you don't. You NEED to normalize your data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.