Codeigniter: architecture

lucashermsen

Dear forum members,

I am working on a website in CodeIgniter that will offer multiple unions their own member system. They will all use virtually the same system, but they will have their own database connected to it. Besides that, some configuration files and view-files will be different per union.

Should I create a separate application-folder for each union? And maybe use packages to link them? Or is it possible using just one application for this?

Regards

Lucas

You can do it with a single application - the logic is pretty much the same but the views are different. Having taken a look at CI I'd also recommend moving away from it as its architecture is complete rubbish.

You can create multiple applications while sharing common resources with CodeIgniter. Basically, just make each "branch" its own directory in /application. You can create a "common" in /application in which to share things like Models or Libraries that you might need, so that you don't have to duplicate the same Library in multiple places.

I actually did something similar for a project recently. It worked out pretty well, but I did have to modify the system/core/Loader.php file to make the Loader class check the "common" directory when loading resources.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.