Connecting to MS SQL

urisk23

I am pretty new to php, and I feel like I am missing something pretty fundamental. I am trying to connect to SQL Server.

A little background: I have a wamp server that I am using personally for my own web applications. At work we use SQL Server, and my Boss wants me to explore adding a bit of web functionality to our applications. We use SQL Server at work.

I thought it would be less disruptive to the our work environment if I start by using my personal wamp server on my workstation.

So I downloaded SQLSRV30.EXE and installed the files in C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.10\ext.

I have added the following line to the C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.10\php.ini file in the Extensions section:

extension=php_sqlsrv_53_ts.dll

and restarted the server.

I have seen other web sites that tell me I should see sqlsvr in the Registered PHP Streams (in the phpinfo page). I do not. And of course the sqlsvr calls don't work.

I receive errors like: Fatal error: Call to undefined function sqlsrv_connect()

Here is at least one piece I really don't understand. In my phpinfo page the "Loaded Configuration File " reads, "C:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.21\bin\php.ini" However, this doesn't seem to be the case. I have renamed that file, and I have modified that file in various ways, and it seems to have no affect. However, when I modify the C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.10\php.ini, and restart the server, it clearly does have affect. For instance, I tried the nts version and when I restarted the server, it failed pretty dramatically.

jic, I put the extension line in both php.ini files.

Anyway, I feel like I am missing something pretty fundamental. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem. I made the additions needed to the php.ini and added the "php ext" path, installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client,

but when runnin the phpinfo script it doesn't reflect that the php drivers are loaded for SQL SRV. 

Also the dll files that should be loaded according to documentatiion is  php_sqlsrv_54_nts_vc9.dll but the extracted files don't have that file listed. The one listed is php_sqlsrv_54_nts.dll

Any thoughts?

I figured it out. I was making changes to the wrong php.ini file. The phpinfo page revealed where the actual php.ini file was residing and when I added the changes it worked!

You would thing it would be c:\php and c:\php\ext for all the needed extentions but no it was "C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php.ini" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.