Js or Jquery

remenissions

Well I've been programming for around 3-4 years now, I'm not the best but I do know my way around. Programming is something I do for fun just because I enjoy it, I have always been against Jquery though because I like to accomplish things my own way. However, I have been running into issues lately that worry me about cross browser, and I'd prefer to figure it out on my own but some things just seem so complicated. As I turn to google all the solutions are being solved and jquery and it's so frusterating. Any thoughts?

What you're describing is the NIH syndrome, and is unfortunately a very common sentiment amongst programmers. I know I've shared my bouts with it as well, thinking "if I didn't make it, I don't like it, as I can always do better."

Needless to say, that's quite untrue, as none of us as smarter than everyone else combined. Learning how to do the task yourself, using the same basic tools, is indeed great. However, spurning a well defined and extensive library for the sole reason that "[I] didn't make it" is rather silly, and quite detrimental. All you end up doing is reinventing the wheel, usually in a flawed manner, while wasting a lot of time doing so.

Since you already know JS, and thus have the basics firmly in place, I would recommend you to take advantage of the jQuery library. It will make things a lot easier for you, and enable you do spend your time creating stuff instead of labouring over minutiae that's been solved many times over. ;)

After all: How silly wouldn't it be if a carpenter refused to buy and use ready-made nails, but insist on melting and forging his own, by hand?

PS: I'm sure you know, buy since jQuery is written in Javascript, your title is a bit of an oxymoron. :P

Edited by Christian F.

I spent a number of years working in straight up javascript, and moved onto jQuery a few years back and have never turned back. You are still coding javascript even when using jquery, you are just using functions that have been written in jquery.

I've generally found, If you're asking this question, the answer is jQuery. Mainly because, most people proficient in OO-Javascript will already know which suits their needs better. For most of my web solutions, for front end tasks, jQuery does the trick, everytime. Sometimes/Almost never I will work with standard JS objects, but that's usually when I'm writing in Node.js, and even then I get the entire node Library which has a bunch of cool pre built objects anyway. So, basically, jQuery.

NIH Syndrome, yup, lovely NIH Syndrome ;). I remember that thanks to jQuery I discovered how to kick some ready (and working (!)) solutions into my projects. And my JS scripts finally works on every developed browser, no frustrations anymore :]. Of course sometimes some browser version refused to work with jQuery properly (last time I have some issues with Chrome and Opera), but with some experience, jQuery is a charm.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.