scootstah

Linux GUI for MySQL

MySQL Workbench works fine in Windows, but it's a heap of crap in Ubuntu. You can't select multiple data rows, it's slow, it crashes every 5 minutes...

Is there a good alternative? I like the functionality and features that MySQL Workbench offers, but I need something a bit more stable. The features I'm looking for are:

- Connect via SSH Tunnel

- A nice query executor

- Able to save SQL snippets (not so important, but nice)

What do you guys use?

I use MySQL workbench, mainly on windows. It's not the best that's for sure.

I'm interested in seeing other options as well.

had the same question a few months ago, and i just installed the newest version of phpmyadmin and have not looked back.

MySQL Workbench works fine in Windows, but it's a heap of crap in Ubuntu. You can't select multiple data rows, it's slow, it crashes every 5 minutes...

Hm..... that's very weird. I've never have a problem with it for one year on my CentOS6.x (Gnome) machine. I thing that problem appears because of yours linux graphical environment.

Edited by jazzman1

I don't know why you cannot retrieve the content from multiple tables and databases.

Unfortunately, there is no way to test it how this wonderful program works in windows ( I have only windows 95)

See my log, the last time that I restarted the mysql-workbench was at March 28.

Log:

[jazzman@localhost log]$ ps aux | grep /usr/bin/mysql-workbench
jazzman  31356  0.0  0.0 106096  1276 ?        Sl   Mar28   63:27 /bin/bash /usr/bin/mysql-workbench
jazzman  32504  0.0  0.0 103244   844 pts/0    S+   12:57   0:00 grep /usr/bin/mysql-workbench

mysql_workbench.png

I don't think that MySQL WorkBench is very good for Windows... Read the article about its more professional and functioonal alternative: http://blogs.devart.com/dbforge/mysql-workbench-worthy-alternative-dbforge-studio-for-mysql.html

So for Windows I use dbForge Studio for Mysql ( http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/ ), and for Linux I prefer Valentina ( http://www.valentina-db.com/en/valentina-studio-overview )

I've been using Workbench in Ubuntu for years without any problems at all, it hasn't crashed once.

Another alternative you can try is Squirrel SQL, I know that also works for Microsoft SQL databases as well. I used it on a previous Microsoft project and it worked great but I still prefer Workbench for non-Microsoft databases.

I use Adminer for MySQL / MariaDB.  Very intuitive. Nice, clean interface.  And it comes with a slew of skins to fit personal preferences. 

I tried to edit the above post, but I wasn't "authorized" for that. I misread. Adminer is web-based. The Linux GUI I use for MySQL / MariaDB is JPDB Admin. There's a FREE edition and one for $15. Not a bad way to go.