Seeking friends for a "geek" team

hyp3rkyd

Hi all

it was a dream of mine to gather and create a team with tech geeks that could exchange knowledge, information and experience for their own good first - and for society's good next. I decided to try and see how it goes.

So I am seeking for people that breath in the name of technology, development, programming, internet, networks, gadgets and everything related. Someone could say them "hackers". I say "hackers", not "lamers".

I also seek for people which admire the open source community.

I am a tech enthusiast who has over 18 years of experience in computers. I have a little to great experience in: Web development (PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, Javascript etc.), C/C++, Assembly/AVR Programming, Networks, Security, Linux/MAC OS & I am also a Windows network administrator, DIY electronics & mods etc. I have a small learning curve in everything I am interested at.

If you think you have experience you can share, beyond the advanced user, drop us a message and let me know!

Um, isn't this what this board is for?

Boards are usually for knowledge exchange. But they are public and open to anyone. I want to begin a very limited and private community.

This is not about me being perfect and play the god of technology, but the need to form a team of remarkable people that will truly help each other, create small projects or contests. I have some really interesting thoughts about that. I do not look forward to make money, affiliates or create a product.

:confused:

lol.. nice point. I suppose you could admire several ladies but you don't have to sleep with all of them to prove it !

It's the same idea here. I really want to help the open community but I want to belong in a small team with known people. I don't have to expose my room with a live webcam to be open source. Teams can help much better, have greatest strength and discreet communication. I am not about to eliminate the true meaning of forums here. That's why I said "friends".

You can join the IRC Chat!

irc.phpfreaks.com #help / #chat

We are very selective (about 20 members) and we are el33t.

Doesn't fulfil the purpose. Or it does, but a very small amount. I don't want to be such a d* and recruit people from there.

But I really admire that you are el33t. I hope to be too someday.

I don't want to be such a d* and recruit people from there.

I, uhh, don't see the difference between trying to recruit on our forums vs. our IRC channel.

In any case, 95% of the time, these recruiting posts never work. You'll always end up with sub-par people and end up doing most of the work yourself (even if not in the beginning, you'll go back to clean their shit up later). Plus, to me it looks like you're just wanting a group to chat with and exchange ideas / work on stuff together. That's one of the reasons this forum & our IRC channel is available - to share knowledge and experience. Sometimes we'll work on projects together, sometimes we'll bounce ideas back and forth, and other times we just like to chill and hang out.

You'll always end up with sub-par people and end up doing most of the work yourself (even if not in the beginning, you'll go back to clean their shit up later).

Thx Philip that's really appreciated.

That's one of the reasons [..] our IRC channel is available

I thought that was for premiso to have his virtual hell on earth?

But I really admire that you are el33t.

We all are. It's a $25 annual fee and it comes with a magazine subscription of your choosing.

Edited by ignace

I, uhh, don't see the difference between trying to recruit on our forums vs. our IRC channel.

In any case, 95% of the time, these recruiting posts never work. You'll always end up with sub-par people and end up doing most of the work yourself (even if not in the beginning, you'll go back to clean their shit up later). Plus, to me it looks like you're just wanting a group to chat with and exchange ideas / work on stuff together. That's one of the reasons this forum & our IRC channel is available - to share knowledge and experience. Sometimes we'll work on projects together, sometimes we'll bounce ideas back and forth, and other times we just like to chill and hang out.

I can't say you are wrong. I agree with most of the things you say, except the first line... In a forum you have the choice not to participate. It's mostly an ad "I am searching bla bla ", you can simply ignore it. In chat, everyone speaks and you will read what I am writing. It's very offensive. If the people find that I am writing bulls***, then I have no problem to completely remove the post. In any way, I haven't written this post because I wonder If what I am doing is right or wrong. I have a plan in mind and everyone that would like to risk the possibility for me to be an a****le, will be rewarded sooner or later, because I am not. :) I believe in democracy, freedom of speech and endless knowledge exchange.

Hell on earth? That is my HAVEN!

This is what I hate forums for. There will always be people that will not respect what you're trying to achieve.

You'll always end up with sub-par people and end up doing most of the work yourself (even if not in the beginning, you'll go back to clean their shit up later).

I do not want people to work for me free of charge, so why should I want to do "most of the work myself"? I want to make friends that share the same interests from different places of the world and build an exclusive private club of people that will really enjoy being there.

Part of the problem is that going to forums and saying "I want to build a Justice League of awesome, motivated nerds. Do you want to join?" is a bit pie-in-the-sky. Especially when a forum is filled with professionals who have both jobs and their own tangible projects they're working on. To entice them/us, you need to be able to provide more than a positive attitude and a grand vision.

So, my advice is to make something useful first, put it on GitHub, and build your team off of the various pull requests you get. If you can get people volunteering their time and effort to fix/modify/expand your code unsolicited, chances are they'll be willing to do more. The pull requests will allow you to judge their work, giving you the ability to pick and choose who you want based on demonstrable talent.

Part of the problem is that going to forums and saying "I want to build a Justice League of awesome, motivated nerds. Do you want to join?" is a bit pie-in-the-sky. Especially when a forum is filled with professionals who have both jobs and their own tangible projects they're working on. To entice them/us, you need to be able to provide more than a positive attitude and a grand vision.

So, my advice is to make something useful first, put it on GitHub, and build your team off of the various pull requests you get. If you can get people volunteering their time and effort to fix/modify/expand your code unsolicited, chances are they'll be willing to do more. The pull requests will allow you to judge their work, giving you the ability to pick and choose who you want based on demonstrable talent.

I already said I am not perfect and I am 1000% sure there are a lot of professionals here that are way more experienced than me in all things.

But I am a quick learner and a very creative person. Working on code isn't about everything, there are diy electronics and linux administering or war driving (not for illegal purposes) and I can't setup a tremendous project in each section to share my knowledge and let people participate. So, your suggestion is really serious and professional but there's no time to set this up and let it build up.

My brain-wiki consists of (with a scale 0 to 5, novice to expert):

- C/C++ [4/5] (although a bit rusty cause I have to touch this since university)

- SQL [3.5/5]

- HTML, CSS [5/5]

- PHP [3.5/5] (started to learn PHP almost 1.5 years ago, but made a great progress thanks to c++ oop)

- Javascript [3/5]

- Symfony2 framework [3/5] - I especially love this one.

- My university thesis was a software build on C++ Builder entirely by me, so I have worked a lot with oop and threads. I consciously decided to quit Windows programming because I hate M$

- AVR & assembly [4/5] - I have created many projects with AVRs in C but put a lot of assembly in it. Also I have advanced knowledge of programming a motorola MC68000 directly.

- Linux administration [3.5/5] - Followed this as a hobby since I was 15 yrs old

- I also work as a professional in a big international company by administering Windows and Active Directory. I have many projects to accomplish each year, especially with security.

- I have a great experience with computer hardware. I have worked also as a technician and I have fixed several pieces of hardware with my (soldering) gun

- ...And much more

Hope this helps you see my proposal from a different perspective.

Note that I didn't say "Create something huge and useful."

Look at Composer. It's a fairly small PHP package manager that's incredibly useful. Our very own trq started work on his own MVC framework, posted it to GitHub, and now has a couple other people working on it as well.

I mean, your brain-wiki is nice and all, but all anyone has is your word that you're as skilled as you claim to be. I can't count how many times people have come on here, talked a good game, and then demonstrated that they had no real clue as to what they were doing. Not saying that you fall into that category, but people (in the most general sense of the word 'people') tend to be weary about a sales pitch with no product or demo. Especially on a web development forum. For web developers, vague promises and claims are almost always a lie.

So, again, if you want to actually get quality people on your team, you're going to actually have to show something. It doesn't need to be finished, or fully featured, or polished, or anything of that nature. A demo, prototype, or proof-of-concept could work. Hell, even a blog going over it, with enough technical detail to convince others you know what you're talking about. Anything more substantial than your own, non-objective view of your own credentials and purposely vague "I wanna do something great" claims.

Note that I didn't say "Create something huge and useful."

Look at Composer. It's a fairly small PHP package manager that's incredibly useful. Our very own trq started work on his own MVC framework, posted it to GitHub, and now has a couple other people working on it as well.

I mean, your brain-wiki is nice and all, but all anyone has is your word that you're as skilled as you claim to be. I can't count how many times people have come on here, talked a good game, and then demonstrated that they had no real clue as to what they were doing. Not saying that you fall into that category, but people (in the most general sense of the word 'people') tend to be weary about a sales pitch with no product or demo. Especially on a web development forum. For web developers, vague promises and claims are almost always a lie.

So, again, if you want to actually get quality people on your team, you're going to actually have to show something. It doesn't need to be finished, or fully featured, or polished, or anything of that nature. A demo, prototype, or proof-of-concept could work. Hell, even a blog going over it, with enough technical detail to convince others you know what you're talking about. Anything more substantial than your own, non-objective view of your own credentials and purposely vague "I wanna do something great" claims.

You are absolutely right and this is what I would probably think If I read something like what I have written here.

This is not about "I like you and I am trying to convince you to follow me" but "I am doing this and If you want to risk the case that I could be a total liar or a green ork from hell, discuss and decide for yourself". I have enough things to show but they are not to be shared in a public forum.

I already said, I do not want to throw the bait on a bunch of people and manipulate to recruit them. I had an idea and I share it with some interesting people or not, cases are that some people might think like me and give a chance to risk and lose 2 hours from their lives. Or maybe not.

So your opinion is absolutely right but I also have the right to say I am an astronaut and ask for people to get on my spaceship. It's in the people's hands finally to make the choice.

"I am doing this and If you want to risk the case that I could be a total liar or a green ork from hell, discuss and decide for yourself". I have enough things to show but they are not to be shared in a public forum.

What is there to discuss if you don't show anything? That's where the disconnect is.

And no one is denying that you have the right to try to find people (although, technically, it may fall under the freelancing section here), it's just that finding quality people is hard to do. In the vast majority of cases, one's view of their own abilities is radically skewed. People generally think they're incredibly skilled when they're not, or not skilled enough when they are.

That's why things like your brain-wiki and your questionaire aren't good tools for recruitment. They're, by definition, non-objective, and if you're looking to do real work, you'll need to be able to actually judge people on what they can do, not what they think they can do. Similarly, people should be able to get an idea of your own skill level. You don't even need to reference any of your project ideas. Take something completely unrelated and get feedback.

I dunno. It just seems like a completely ass-backwards way to do it if you're truly interested in getting your idea(s) off the ground. But, whatever.

With no sarcasm or snark, good luck in finding people.

What is there to discuss if you don't show anything? That's where the disconnect is.

And no one is denying that you have the right to try to find people (although, technically, it may fall under the freelancing section here), it's just that finding quality people is hard to do. In the vast majority of cases, one's view of their own abilities is radically skewed. People generally think they're incredibly skilled when they're not, or not skilled enough when they are.

That's why things like your brain-wiki and your questionaire aren't good tools for recruitment. They're, by definition, non-objective, and if you're looking to do real work, you'll need to be able to actually judge people on what they can do, not what they think they can do. Similarly, people should be able to get an idea of your own skill level. You don't even need to reference any of your project ideas. Take something completely unrelated and get feedback.

I dunno. It just seems like a completely ass-backwards way to do it if you're truly interested in getting your idea(s) off the ground. But, whatever.

With no sarcasm or snark, good luck in finding people.

Kevin,

I really appreciate your time for explaining these things to me even If I am an unknown person and I have very few posts in this forum.

So, taking for granted that everything you say is right, what do you suggest? It will take me months to create something completely new and post it in github or something. If you have something in mind please make a suggestion. I am looking into quality people indeed.

What made you think that ? And what's the point of starting a new thread with this subject? Makes no sense..

I think that because you haven't articulated that you HAVE a project to work on, all you've said is you want to talk to people. You don't want to put in several months of work to attract people, you just want to talk to people now.

I wasn't saying it as an insult.

I also didn't start a new thread, I replied to Kevin. 

Honestly, YOU make no sense. 

Kevin,

I really appreciate your time for explaining these things to me even If I am an unknown person and I have very few posts in this forum.

So, taking for granted that everything you say is right, what do you suggest? It will take me months to create something completely new and post it in github or something. If you have something in mind please make a suggestion. I am looking into quality people indeed.

Well, it doesn't have to be anything new. Anything you feel that showcases your talent would be enough. Are there any old/not finished projects that you could show?

Recruiting people online is difficult because there's no way for anyone to actually judge your character or ability without seeing some sort of proof. It's easier to do it in person because it's easier to just talk or show sketches on-the-fly, and dialogue and direct interaction means a lot.

Having seen what you sent me in the PM, I think you do quality work. I, myself, don't have the time to dive into a new project, but I think what I saw of yours is good.

Would you be willing to post your current employer's site as an example of the overall quality you provide? I followed the link in the footer of what you showed me, and seems similar enough in terms of look and feel for a general idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.