Apps or Starting Points to Satisfy the most mobile users

help_me_with_php

Hello all,

I'm thinking about updating a website and using PHP to cater to all the types of users (e.g. => LT/DT/Mobile Devices, etc...).

The best adaptation I've seen to mobile that promotes visibility is what GoDaddy has done. There is a big difference between their homepage and their mobile equivalent. Here they are:

https://www.godaddy.com/

http://www.godaddymobile.com/

Does anyone here have any links to some good resources I can use to try and get the same kind of setup going with PHP or any of the frameworks that have been built with it? I've never used frameworks like Zend or any of the CMS platforms that are out there like Wordpress.

Any advice on what is the best option here? It looks like what GoDaddy has done is basically redirected users appropriately and used 2 completely separate domains to cater to as many people as they can. Does it seem like that to anyone else too? thanks.

What sort of website are you looking to adapt? You could use CSS to format the existing pages differently for mobile devices or find the user agent (browser type) using PHP and redirect the user to a separate mobile optimised page.

Is that what Godaddy is doing with theirs? It doesn't look that way to me. It looks like 2 separate websites to me, with of course the same kind of content on it. What's your opinion on that?

The website I want to adapt is one that won't appear incorrectly to the most users. So for instance, I want to build one that will do the most work possible for the device holders instead of trusting that they know what they're doing with their devices and know how to tweak things. If they're normal consumers (which I expect them to be), they will have bought their devices to keep up with Jones's rather than buying it for any meaningful purpose. That's how the smartphone market profits...from people buying to one-up their presence in soceity, right?

ibh,

look at the response here too: http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/270711-determining-content-by-device/

that is a little along the lines of what I'm looking for. apparently CSS3 does a lot of this work. why use PHP or anything else to do it when CSS may be doing a part of what I want here? does that make sense? I haven't explored this but I'm sure he's probably right. I'll have to check that portion of the solution out...

PHP is a server side language and has little to do with what you are looking at / talking about.

that has nothing to do with it. constructive help is better than not. are the rules strict to a point such that I can't ask this question in this forum or even on this site? there aren't forums for these kinds of questions.

PHP has nothing to do with what a site will look like.

I'm fully aware of that. e.g. "anything else". I am posting this here because I know there are very competent ppl lingering around. Are you perhaps one of those, Mr. Admin? :happy-04:

I'm trying to get down to the magic of what's behind my 2 referenced sites. If it's just as simple as CSS3, that's all I need to know. I can take it from there.

Edited by help_me_with_php

The two examples you have linked to are two completely different sites. The mobile one has been developed using jQuery mobile. See http://jquerymobile.com

Depending on your content there are a few ways you can approach this:

1) You can build two completely different sites.

2) You can build two completely different front ends to the same back end.

3) Or you can build a front end which can handle both normal browsers as well as mobile devices.

Option 1 is probably the simplest solution, though it is also the most inefficient and requires the most work and the most upkeep.

Option 2 is probably most often pursued, and can be achieved reasonably easily if your site has been developed in such a way that your business logic is separate from your presentation logic.

I would suggest that option 3 is really only available to fairly simple sites.

The two examples you have linked to are two completely different sites. The mobile one has been developed using jQuery mobile. See http://jquerymobile.com

Depending on your content there are a few ways you can approach this:

1) You can build two completely different sites.

2) You can build two completely different front ends to the same back end.

3) Or you can build a front end which can handle both normal browsers as well as mobile devices.

Option 1 is probably the simplest solution, though it is also the most inefficient and requires the most work and the most upkeep.

Option 2 is probably most often pursued, and can be achieved reasonably easily if your site has been developed in such a way that your business logic is separate from your presentation logic.

I would suggest that option 3 is really only available to fairly simple sites.

nice. that's incredibly helpful. I might explore option one here. It seems as though the pioneers of the mobile devices themselves pursued this same option by braching out to new Operating Systems for the new pieces of hardware.

this is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers. Enjoy your day sir. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.