Unable to get MySql support enable with MySQl 5.5; Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.17 on Vista

Me262

Hi there,

I have downloaded and installed Mysql 5.5; Apache 2. 2 and PHP 5.2.17 on Vista.

When try to connect to the MySql server with:

< ?php

echo mysql_connect ( 'localhost', 'username', 'password');

?>

I get the following error message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\

According to other blogs and stuff I have read on the internet this means that MySql support is not enabled. And according to the same stuff I should try (and have done so) the following:

I have checked that

1) c:\php is set as a PATH

2) that extension=php_mysql.dll is uncommented (as well as extension=php_mysqli.dll)

3) and that extension_dir = "c:\php\ext"

4) checked that in the Apache http.cnf file PHPIniDir is set to "c:/php"

I still get the same error message. I'm a complete rookie and am probably making some very straight forward simple mistake, and judging by how many post there are regarding this problem, there is probably a simple explanantion. But after several days of looking I'm hoping someone out there can put me out of my misery and tell me what it is? (Yes, I have restarted the computer when i make changes).

Please help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.