if statement to handle sessions

davidcriniti

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of developing a site for my school which allows students and teachers to log in to do different things.

At the moment I'm working on redirecting people from a page that requires them to be logged in as teachers.

I've got a bit of code that works already which directs people away from the page and gives them a message.

That code is here:

<?php
session_start();
if (empty($_SESSION['userName'])  || $_SESSION['member_type'] == 'Student' )  {

$_SESSION['msg'] = 'You must be a teacher to access the teachers.php page';
header("Location: login_required.php");
die();
} ?>

However, I'd like to tweak this a bit so the message is customised, based on whether the person is:

i) currently logged in as a student

ii) not logged in at all

iii) or else, if they're logged in as a teacher, simply displaying the page as normal.

The code I've tried is this:

<?php
session_start();
if (empty($_SESSION['userName'])   )  {

$_SESSION['msg'] = 'You must be a teacher to access the teachers.php page. You are currently not logged in.';

die();
}
else if ($_SESSION['member_type'] == 'Student');
{
$_SESSION['msg'] = 'You are logged in as a student, but you must be a teacher to access the teachers.php page';
die();

}

?>

This works by giving the correct messages to people who are either students or who are not logged in.

However, if I am logged in as a teacher, I am still given the message saying "You are logged in as a student" etc...rather than having access to the page.

I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone could point out my error.

Thanks greatly,

Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.