Need Advice for Work Order App

richs2k6

I work at a hotel and we seem to have issues using work orders (i.e. room 325 has a broken television). I have some experience using mySql and PHP but it's been a while since I've done any coding. The basic database would include date, time, location, assigned to, description of problem, etc. Creating a database shouldn't be an issue but I need advice on how to store date/time when insterting entries as well as other more complex issues. Querying the database should also be pretty easy because I am familiair with the basic queriies such as "Select ALL from database where room equals" etc. In addition I would like to eventually add a login/username feature. If I purchase a book I can probably figure out how to do it all myself since it is a pretty simple database. Does anyone have any advice for a novice on which book may be most beneficial? Like I said, I did coding in the past but it was more to the tune of finding tutorials online and catering them to my needs. Thanks for your advice!

You work at a hotel with at least three stories and they're looking internally, that is to you, to create a work order system? That's surprising.

Have you looked for existing software that you can use? If they paid you a pitiful $20/hour and it took you a week to make this, that's $800. Far more expensive than pretty much all the non-free programs you might be able to find.

I'm actually looking to create it myself on my own time to impress my bosses and to make it financially feasable. I enjoy doing it so it doesn't bother me that I'm not getting paid for it. I designed our own site on my own time and I am happy with it. I looked briefly tonight for non-free programs. If you have one you suggest I would be happy to take a look. I wouldn't mind entertaining the option of a non-free program but we do have budget constraints that we must stay within. I was thinking that we would have to buy at least 5 ipod's which would cost at least $400, used, which I can probably swing. If we were to spend $400 plus another few hundred dollars on software I may not be able to convince them it's worth it.

I know nothing about the industry so I really couldn't help you evaluate existing software for this. However the homegrown solution does allow you a lot more flexibility in terms of features and requirements.

You'll probably need

* Users

* Permissions (who can do what)

* Workflow (for the work orders and how they are created and dealt with)

That's really the core of a work order system since you get the luxury of having the actual work done happening outside the system.

Any specific questions? I personally can't offer any suggestions on books or tutorials.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.