email validation error

siddharthjhala

Hi fellow geeks I need some help in creating my first website.

I am stuck with email validation, I have checked plenty of links from google but I am just not able to get through with email validation.

I would be greatful if you can help me with it.

This is the code where I am facing issues..

if(preg_match('/^([A-Za-z0-9_\-\.])+\@([A-Za-z0-9_\-\.])+\.([A-Za-z]{2,4})$/',$eml))
  {
   die("invalid email address");
   $flag=false;
  }

now whenever I try inserting a valid email address, it pops up an error as:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: No ending delimiter '^' found in C:\xampp\htdocs\cms_xhtml\customerinsert.php on line 159

please give me a solution to this issue or give me some other email validation code which can replace the above mentioned code.

Thank you again, gracias

Firstly, the delimiters look fine - are you sure the "no ending delimiter" error is the one you are still getting?

Secondly, preg_match will only return FALSE if $eml does NOT match the pattern - so your IF statement isn't quite right as it will die with the "invalid email address" message for emails that match the pattern. You could negate the condition to fix this:

<?php
if ( ! preg_match($pattern, $subject)) {
// no match...
}
?>

Finally, you could use php's filter_var function for email validation if your server has PHP 5 >= 5.2.0:

<?php
if (filter_var('bob@example.com', FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {
// email appears ok...
}
?>

Firstly, the delimiters look fine - are you sure the "no ending delimiter" error is the one you are still getting?

Secondly, preg_match will only return FALSE if $eml does NOT match the pattern - so your IF statement isn't quite right as it will die with the "invalid email address" message for emails that match the pattern. You could negate the condition to fix this:

<?php
if ( ! preg_match($pattern, $subject)) {
// no match...
}
?>

Finally, you could use php's filter_var function for email validation if your server has PHP 5 >= 5.2.0:

<?php
if (filter_var('bob@example.com', FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {
// email appears ok...
}
?>

yes that is the error I am facing!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.