Chome is the most popular browser?!

tibberous

Sorry guys, I've kind of been under a rock, but what the hell??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Only 25 of people are using Internet Explorer and thats rapidly falling?! I remember when it was %60!

This is going to make a huge difference in how I program in browser support. I mean, getting stuff to kind-of work in IE was always an after-thought, but now it almost doesn't seem to matter.

Crazy - I can remember when IE 6 had just been released and it was considered best practice to support IE 4. You were supported to do <font style="color: red" unless you also put in color="red".

I still like my Firefox, but good on Google for getting the common folk to switch to a non-shitty browser.

.. And what's equally as important, Chrome updates automatically! So newer standards will be adopted faster and faster. FF has started doing this too, but it's a bit more clunky. IE will always lag behind while ever it's tied to the OS.

You can't just take one figure as reality.  Look at some of the other tables on that same page and you'll see that IE and Chrome seem to be roughly equal in their share around 30%.  That said it doesn't make a huge difference which browser a person is using these days.  All the major browsers work about equally well for most things, it's only when you start getting into cutting-edge stuff that you run into issues.  There's a lot of libraries out there also that will handle differences for you for the most part also so just make appropriate use of them and it should be a snap to get things working cross browser.

All the major browsers work about equally well for most things

I'd say thats true if you don't look at IE - I still get stupid things breaking in IE, like the third level of my dropdown menus and border styles on inputs and just general spacing.

Maybe IE10 is better - don't feel like spending 20 minutes and a reset to upgrade though.

All benchmarks I've seen for IE10 put it roughly in line with Chrome in terms of performance. I think Chrome has a little more support for the HTML5 draft spec, but I'm sure they will upgrade various areas in future Win 8 upgrades. As kicken said though there's not much between them.

The problem is that it was developed for Windows 8 and still tied to the OS--though there is a Windows 7 release upcoming at some point. Still though my version of IE right now never even got on top of CSS3, and it's taken years for them to release an upgrade. This will happen again in a year or so as IE10 starts to become dated, and then again they will have to wait until the next version of Windows to release any major changes. They need to ditch tying it to the OS!

They need to ditch tying it to the OS!

A concept thats obvious to everyone but them. Windows 98 got destroyed for years because they tried to integrate ActiveX, IE and the operating system -- then they stuck in 1001 security prompts, like the problem was users running files and not the security holes that let websites run compiled code.

Hopefully enough people will switch Microsoft will eventually quit developing it. They could preinstall Chrome on Windows 8, change the default search provider to Bing, and save a few million a year in development costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Chromes dev tools are way better than anything available for FF including firebug.

Vouch 100%, Chrome >all.

Chrome dev tools are so much easier to familiarize yourself with, when doing it on firefox, feels like a bloated system with to much tabs/content/etc. IMO ....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.