application design when programming a website from scratch

Afelk

hi !

i am on the point of starting building a website from scratch , i know what i want to do and the different technologies a want to use but i dont know what are the steps and what comes first and how to implement different technologies , between designing the website (html+css) and programming (classes + database conections + pages) + JQuery . is there any models about designing and combining these things to bulid a Website ?

thanks !

Whilst I love MVC and its approach so solving many programming problems I don't think its the answer you're looking for. MVC is a way of structuring you're code, not a design process.

You need to look at your requirements and see what's already available. If something is available, how can you implement it? There are many frameworks, good and bad, available so look into them as they'll provide a rigid foundation for you to build your app on top of.

Its hard to give any further comments because everything starts at what your requirements are i.e. what you want to achieve.

The first thing you should do is figure out what problem your site is trying to solve. Every website has a purpose, and within that purpose you can figure out the important data and behind-the-scenes processes that addresses that purpose/problem. From there, flip it around and figure out how an end user would want to interact with that. Unless you're doing something incredibly simple, chances are what your users can interact with will be a small portion of what actually happens on the back end.

Refine and repeat that process until you're confident you have something coherent.

One of the more popular methodologies is the M V C approach ( Model - View - Controller ) . Have a google on 'PHP design patterns'. You will also find a lot of the frameworks in use today use this pattern

thank you for you help ill check out MVC model !

Whilst I love MVC and its approach so solving many programming problems I don't think its the answer you're looking for. MVC is a way of structuring you're code, not a design process.

You need to look at your requirements and see what's already available. If something is available, how can you implement it? There are many frameworks, good and bad, available so look into them as they'll provide a rigid foundation for you to build your app on top of.

Its hard to give any further comments because everything starts at what your requirements are i.e. what you want to achieve.

im building a simple Q&A system , give me some models of design to check them , thank you

The first thing you should do is figure out what problem your site is trying to solve. Every website has a purpose, and within that purpose you can figure out the important data and behind-the-scenes processes that addresses that purpose/problem. From there, flip it around and figure out how an end user would want to interact with that. Unless you're doing something incredibly simple, chances are what your users can interact with will be a small portion of what actually happens on the back end.

Refine and repeat that process until you're confident you have something coherent.

soo u r telling me that i have to program the core of php (classes and functions) and the database , and then design the website and create the interface between the users and the system (forms and buttons and all ) ?

soo u r telling me that i have to program the core of php (classes and functions) and the database , and then design the website and create the interface between the users and the system (forms and buttons and all ) ?

Of course not...

black_genie_lamp.png

If you rub this lamp it'll provide a genie that'll magic up all the code for you.

Plan first, then it should become apparent what you need to do and what order you need to do it. Some people prefer to start bottom first, others top first, and others again middle out. There is no standard or "correct" answer to this, besides "plan first".

Also, we're not here to do the research for you. So telling us to "find you some models of design" is quite rude, especially since you do not pay us (or anyone) a single cent for our service. We're here because we want to help those who are struggling and have problems they cannot solve on their own, not to do the work for those who are too lazy to do it themselves.

Thank you.

I just need an order of what should i do first and last .

It should be fairly obvious what comes first and what comes last. You cannot write a user interface to interact with a database that hasn't been designed yet. 

You could do research on methods of development such as Agile, Scrum and Waterfall, and pick one. 

Adding to Jessica's comments; you'll probably use a lightweight method like Agile, RAD or something else for web development. That said if you're planning to create an entire system from scratch (effectively a framework) you'll be better off with a heavyweight method such as waterfall ensuring all development stages are traceable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.