Criticize my new website

ankur0101

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a pretty generic Wordpress blog. I didn't see anything special. Is there something special about this site?

I disagree, it doesn't look anything wordpress/generic like. (From what I've seen..)

It just looks plain, a logo and a navigation bar and a couple boxes... It looks decent and it looks fluid, it just doesn't look professional. (my critique)

A few things:

When viewing a list of products, there are five associated links: Product name, Post Date, Post User, Comments and "Read More". The Product name and "read More" links take the user to a product specific page, the Post User takes the user to a list of products added by that user and the comments takes to the user to the comments for the product. But, the Post Date link takes the user to the product page. I would think it would take me to a list of all products posted on that date.

The Product Name search seems to search the description of the product and not the name. So a search for "Ducati" brings up products such as "Honda" that reference ducati products in their description. If the search is going to be on the description then the title of the search probably shouldn't be "Product name"

The "Tagged with" and "Posted in" listed at the bottom of a product page have links, but they are in black text and don't look like links

• 2 weeks later...
The "Tagged with" and "Posted in" listed at the bottom of a product page have links, but they are in black text and don't look like links 

But, the Post Date link takes the user to the product page. I would think it would take me to a list of all products posted on that date.

> I will work on that

Thanks 

Psycho

Thanks for your opinion

I feel like the whole site is trying to win a popularity contest. I see twitter, facebook, etc all over the place. Which is fine, but it seems like that annoying person who won't stop asking to be friends on Facebook. The only actual content I see on the home page is a generic list of links that means nothing to me. If I scroll down, I get some decent content... I'm not a big fan of the giant box on the homepage either. The arrangement of text in that box is pretty, but is a pain to read.

Bikes / Cameras pages have large blurbs of small text. It's going to be a big case of TLDR (Too long, didn't read) and immediately scrolling down. Maybe some trimming on those blurbs and / or making text bigger / easier to read.

I think the "read more" links should be on the right as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I specialize in website design, I hope you don't mind me being particularly picky. Only trying to offer advice. :)

1. Your background is not flattering. That color of yellow and off yellow just makes the site look outdated. I would suggest using a sold background with a texture, or at least changing the stripe colors to more complimentary colors; blue and grey, green and brown, silver and white. Personally I would also do fat, horizontal lines, instead of skinny, verticle lines.

2. The logo looks outdated. While I like the idea, the font type you used bothers me. You saw a lot of that font type early 2000, but for your type of sight I would go with a more professional look; like impact or bernard MT condenced. In addition, the colors and thick black outline do not mimic anything else on your site. So, the logo just looks out of place. Mimic the colors for what you choose on the background; if you go with blue and grey for the background, use white as it compliments grey. Loost the thick black outline as your font will already be wide. Lastly, I have no idea what is behind "tag" in the logo?? I'd change it.

3. Your search bar could be better. I would get rid of the small "search" text above it and change "go" to "search".

4. The menu is okay, but again, it does not match any other part of the homepage. It's a black bar with white writing. If you decide to change the background, it will probably work. If not, I would change it to white to compliment your current background and have brown text to compliment the off yellow. (not my fav color combo however).

5. "Welcome to Price Tag India..." content box. The color blends to much with the background. If you decide to change the background, use a complimentary color. I would go with white with dark grey font or a medium grey with off white font. If you keep your background, change the box's background color to contrast it; I would go with dark grey that matches your menu and off white text. (again, not my fav color combo here).

6. Center your social feed tags below the writing if you want them there. I would rather see them in the empty space to the right of all the menu buttons (still within the black bar).

7. The white boxes with your separated content are very hard to read against the striped off yellow background. I would change these to match the color of the background in "Welcome to Price Tag India" or go with a totally different color that contrasts. For example, if "Welcome to Price Tag India" is dark grey, make these boxes light grey OR if the same area is dark grey, make these boxes dark blue (matching the color of your background). Hope that makes sense. The colors should bounce off each other, not fight one another. I would also add a 1 or 2px border around these separated boxes that is white. Have the font be white or very light grey. Putting a slight shadow to these might also be cool.

I am hoping that wasn't too crazy confusing. Once you have the home page worked out, the other pages should simply mimic it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.