Mobile APP - where to start ?

jason310771

I am wanting to create a mobile app, can anyone suggest where I can get information and resources to help me get a basic app that I can learn from to allow me to expand it to a fully featured app.

What I am wanting to get to is a basic layout and a basic contact form with the content sent to an email address or a database (mysqli).

What is the code like, what can I use to generate the app file that visitors can download, and can I have the file accessable on my own site or does it have to be from googleplay or the like ?

I have googled looking for information but only finding the ones that are charging to create and host the app. I wish to code and host it myself if possible.

What code can I use, how does it actually work?

I am basically looking for the absolute beginners guide to app making.

Are you making a mobile website and slapping it into a web view or are you making a complete native app? Are you planning on developing this for iOS, Android, Windows 8, BlackBerry, etc.? These are all the things you have to ask yourself before figuring out where to look.

With Android apps, you can distribute your own APK file. You don't have to put it up on GooglePlay, but I don't understand why you wouldn't unless you're making the app for just yourself. All the information you need is at developer.android.com - start by reading every section under App Components before even installing Eclipse and the ADT plugin. http://developer.android.com/guide/components/fundamentals.html

After that, read everything under the tools section - http://developer.android.com/tools/index.html

Then go back to the guide and follow a tutorial. At least that's my suggestion if you choose the Android route.

This would be my first app, I was hoping to create this for all phones.

I setup a site for someone for their taxi firm, very basic to start due to small funding. But now they are after an app that can have the visitors location (with the users permission) included in the info sent with the request form they submitted.

How easy would this be to do without a huge budget being needed to contract another company to code.

There are a lot of app building software out that included things to find their location and all with a large price tag, "per year" !

I was looking for a one off payment if needed or a basic setup I could do given time to keep the cost down to a minimum.

I still do not know if googleplay and the other charge to store the app ?

This would be my first app, I was hoping to create this for all phones.

That is going to be a lot of work. Unless you make a mobile website, and then just load it into a web view. But be ware, making an app like this is crummy. That's what the original facebook app did, and then they finally came out with native apps for iOS, Android, etc. and admitted that HTML5 was not the way to go. Native apps are the way to go.

I setup a site for someone for their taxi firm, very basic to start due to small funding.

And now they want a mobile app for all phones? :confused:

But now they are after an app that can have the visitors location (with the users permission) included in the info sent with the request form they submitted.

How easy would this be to do without a huge budget being needed to contract another company to code.

Mobile websites can request the user's location.

^^^

There are a lot of app building software out that included things to find their location and all with a large price tag, "per year" !

I was looking for a one off payment if needed or a basic setup I could do given time to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Contracting out to make mobile apps for all phones is not cheap. It's going to cost a lot of money to develop, and you're going to have to do work on your website to create a web service that the app uses.

I still do not know if googleplay and the other charge to store the app ?

It cost me $10.00 to create a developer account on GooglePlay last year. It's a one time fee. I am not sure what it costs now, I'm sure you can find out. And last time I checked, creating a developer account for iOS is $100/year.

Man, if you're serious about doing this, you need either a lot of money to fund someone else to do it, or you need a lot of time and practice first. It sounds like you aren't experienced enough for this. Not to sound mean. You need to learn how to make mobile apps before just jumping into a project like this. It sounds like you don't know the basics, or even what languages you need to know. You need to know Java for building Android apps, and you need to know Objective-C (and C/C++ if you're more comfortable with those languages - but all the UI stuff is done strictly with Objective-C) for building iOS apps. Not to mention, you need to be running a Mac OS for development.

You can't just whip together an app for all mobile phones if you don't know Java and Objective-C. Even if you did, it would take some time to learn the development kits and libraries. Not trying to be negative, but you need to learn the very basics first. And if you don't have the time for that, you're going to need money to contact out the work. Hope this helps.

• 11 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.