What are your thoughts...

PaulRyan

Hello all,

I have recently sold an item on eBay, an Apple iPod Classic 80Gb. Everything was fine and dandy until I logged into my PayPal to see the value of the item had been held back by PayPal.

I quickly went onto eBay to see what this was about, I noticed I had a dispute in the eBay resolution center and quickly checked it out.

The buyer had disputed the purchase as they stated that the item was received corrupt and was unusable in its current state, I knew for a fine fact the item was fine as I had used it myself the day I posted it to the buyer.

We had a little chat between us, to discuss the matter further, to which the buyer told me, they removed the Photos and Music from the device and continued to format the iPod, from which the device was then perceived to be corrupt by iTunes.

The buyer then said to me that the item was never usable is state it was when the packaging was opened because it had my Photos and Music on (Which I did forget to remove, I admit fault for that), for them to know I had anything on the iPod, it must have been in working condition.

I'm trying to resolve this with the buyer now, by suggesting possible fixes for the error, but I will get the claim escalated if nothing comes of the solutions I suggest, would I be right in doing so?

What do you think of the above? Who is to blame?

Look forward to your replies.

Try to help, but if that doesn't work then you have proof that the buyer is the one who screwed up: they reformatted it, not you. You sold them a device that was not only in perfect working order but even had some "demo" content ;) for them to see.

But really, a restore isn't working? That can fix just about any problem at the expense of losing everything stored.

Edited by requinix

I fully intend to help out best I can, but I will not go any further than that and will certainly not be refunding the purchase value.

I do like the "demo" thing, made me chuckle, just wish I thought of that at the time :P

I'm just going by what the buyer told me, I have linked them to the 5 ways to fix the issue, otherwise they have to head to the Apple Shop and get some support from them.

Just hope this isn't dragged out over the course of the dispute (8 days I think), just want the hold removed and to be able to get my freelance earnings out :P

Edited by PaulRyan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.