Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'or' (T_LOGICAL_OR)

bleured27

hy there im so ashamed to ask this.What does this mean

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'or' (T_LOGICAL_OR)

i don't know i never seen it before in all my php codes well here's the full code

<?php    
require('connection.php');
   $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table_messages where reciver='$user' and read !='1'", $con);
           $num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
               if($num_rows =0    ){echo " no messages";}else{ echo $num_rows." messages";}

?>

you know i checked all the names in db and other places and they are all correct!

please help

Edited by bleured27

That one is not correct:

$num_rows =0

Use double equal to compare to values.

If you comment the code do you get the same error?

Example:

<?php  
/**
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table_messages where reciver='$user' and read !='1'", $con);
						    if($num_rows =0 ){echo " no messages";}else{ echo $num_rows." messages";}
*/

?>

same error whith this

<?php
$user=1;
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table_messages where reciver='$user' and read !='1'", $con);or die(mysql_error());
   if($num_rows ="0" ){echo " no messages";}else{ echo $num_rows." messages";}

?>

hy i found something

it is working whith other variables or get away a bit it works when i do

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table_messages where reciver='$user'", $con);
//i rechecked the variables in my db and they are right i don't understand why this cant

the error must be in

'$user' and read !='1'", $con);or die(mysql_error());

Edited by bleured27

i was just eating but this is the entire code

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

i was just eating and i will ignore your nonsens

stilll this is the entire code . for you to post again

<?php
$user=1;
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table_messages where reciver='$user'", $con);
   if($num_rows ="0" ){echo " no messages";}else{ echo $num_rows." messages";}

?>

<?php  $con = mysql_connect("localhost","sh","onyou");
  mysql_select_db("game", $con);
  $table="accaunts";
  $table_kingdom="members";
  $table_messages="messages";
  ?>

if you can't solve this problem il go read some more books and hey
don't be to hard for me im just an starting programmer who isn't even an adult so keep your smartass notices in front of you

i was just eating but this is the entire code

That code will not give the error you are quoting. Please make sure that A) the error still appears, and B) you show us the actual code.  It would be most helpful to be shown the full error text (and all errors, if there are more than one), and the full content of the file(s) containing the error(s).

P.S. Jessica simply found it amusing that it you claim to be "pro" at PHP, at least given the list of proficiencies in your signature. At least, a list like that is commonly used to show the author's current level of knowledge in those areas. If your signature is not such a list then please forgive any comments made. If it is such a list, perhaps it needs some amendment.

Edited by salathe

ow jhea thank you jazz i didn't knew it was pre determent in mysql when i did that it worked fine it only is still a bid starnge that it gives an OR error and you jessica tnx for being so enoying it helped me not at all why do you even post here when you have nothing to bring in>??

btw do you know the meaning of newb. Lulz

Then don't call yourself a pro.

Being 16 is not an excuse to be a whiny baby. You're well old enough to:

A. Use correct grammar and spelling in your posts

B. Take responsibility for your own education. Especially if you've been programming various languages for 4 years. When you learn something new, don't whine about how you didn't know it before. 

C. Read the rules and guidelines of this forum and follow them.

salathe im just 16 years old and programming for 4 years you can't expect me to know evry liddle thing the most people learn while they r studying

I can't particularly care either way whether you're really "pro" or don't have the first clue about the subject, or wherever you lie on that scale.  I only aim to point out that it's silly getting upset when someone calls you out on claiming to be "pro" when you're very clearly not anywhere near close.  Hardly anyone here knows every little thing about PHP, and I doubt anyone knows every little thing about programming in general. Everyone here is learning, every day.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.