Event Show Problem

SkyRanger

I am having a problem showing events on my calendar.

foreach ($days as $day) {
       echo "<td class=\"calendar_days\">$day</td>\n";
}

for ($count=0; $count < (6*7); $count++) {
       $dayArray = getdate($start);
       if (($count % 7) == 0) {
               if ($dayArray["mon"] != $month) {
                       break;
               } else {
                       echo "</tr><tr>\n";
               }
       }
       if ($count < $firstDayArray["wday"] || $dayArray["mon"] != $month) {
               echo "<td class=\"caltd\"> </td>\n";
       } else {
               $chkEvent_sql = "SELECT event_title FROM calendar_events WHERE month(event_start) = '".$month."' AND dayofmonth(event_start) = '".$dayArray["mday"]."' AND year(event_start) = '".$year."' AND client='$loggedin' or adminpost='All' ORDER BY event_start";
   $chkEvent_res = $mysqli->query($chkEvent_sql) or die($mysqli->error.__LINE__);

if ($chkEvent_res->num_rows > 0) {
$event_title = "<br/>";
while ($ev = mysqli_fetch_array($chkEvent_res)) {
$event_title .= "".stripslashes($ev["event_title"])."<br/>";
}
mysqli_free_result($chkEvent_res);
} else {
$event_title = "";
}

$currentm = date("n");
   $currentd = date("j");
   $currenty = date("Y");

$bgc = '';  // default no bgcolor
if ($dayArray['mday'] == $currentd) {
 $bgc = ' bgcolor="#d0e4eb"'; 
} elseif (!empty($event_title)) {
 // Set event color
 $bgc = ' bgcolor="#b47a42"';
}

if ($month == $currentm && $firstDayArray['year'] == $currenty) {
   echo '<td' . $bgc . "  height=\"74\" valign=\"top\" class=\"caltd\"><center><a class=\"calnum\" href=\"javascript:eventWindow('event.php?m=".$month."&d=".$dayArray["mday"]."&y=$year');\">".$dayArray["mday"]."</a><br/>".$event_title."</center></td>\n";
} else {
   echo "<td height=\"74\" valign=\"top\" class=\"caltd\"><center><a class=\"calnum\" href=\"javascript:eventWindow('event.php?m=".$month."&d=".$dayArray["mday"]."&y=$year');\">".$dayArray["mday"]."</a><br/>".$event_title."</center></td>\n";		  
	     }

unset($event_title);

$start += ADAY;
       }
}

The problem I am having is if the $loggedin user posts an event on his/her calendar it works no problem. When I post an event for all under adminpost it shows the event everyday in the calendar.

Each client has there own calendar. The $loggedin is just the username that is pulled from the session to put against the query to pull there events out of the database. The adminpost is any event the admin posts to the clients that will show on the users calendar.

For some reason it is the "or adminpost='All'" causing all the problems and not sure why because when I remove this the clients events show with no problems but when I put the or in the All posts show on every single day.

Edited by SkyRanger

Sounds good to me, but not sure how I would go about that without screwing up the whole calendar with the 2 different $event_title outputs due to that the $event_title is the main array to create the table for events:

if ($chkEvent_res->num_rows > 0) {
$event_title = "<br/>";
while ($ev = mysqli_fetch_array($chkEvent_res)) {
$event_title .= "".stripslashes($ev["event_title"])."<br/>";
}
mysqli_free_result($chkEvent_res);
} else {
$event_title = "";
}

$currentm = date("n");
       $currentd = date("j");
       $currenty = date("Y");

$bgc = '';  // default no bgcolor
if ($dayArray['mday'] == $currentd) {
 $bgc = ' bgcolor="#d0e4eb"'; 
} elseif (!empty($event_title)) {
 // Set event color
 $bgc = ' bgcolor="#b47a42"';
}
if ($month == $currentm && $firstDayArray['year'] == $currenty) {
       echo '<td' . $bgc . "  height=\"74\" valign=\"top\" class=\"caltd\"><center><a class=\"calnum\" href=\"javascript:eventWindow('event.php?m=".$month."&d=".$dayArray["mday"]."&y=$year');\">".$dayArray["mday"]."</a><br/>".$event_title."</center></td>\n";
} else {
       echo "<td height=\"74\" valign=\"top\" class=\"caltd\"><center><a class=\"calnum\" href=\"javascript:eventWindow('event.php?m=".$month."&d=".$dayArray["mday"]."&y=$year');\">".$dayArray["mday"]."</a><br/>".$event_title."</center></td>\n";            
                        }

SELECT event_title 
FROM calendar_events 
WHERE month(event_start) = '".$month."' 
AND dayofmonth(event_start) = '".$dayArray["mday"]."' 
AND year(event_start) = '".$year."' 
AND client='$loggedin' 
or adminpost='All' 
ORDER BY event_start";

You need to group the two conditions of the OR clause using parenthesis. Your problem is that the query above will return all events where the date matches AND the client matches; OR all events with adminpost = 'All'.

Try this

SELECT event_title 
FROM calendar_events 
WHERE month(event_start) = '".$month."' 
AND dayofmonth(event_start) = '".$dayArray["mday"]."' 
AND year(event_start) = '".$year."' 
AND ( client='$loggedin' 
   or adminpost='All' ) 
ORDER BY event_start";

Note: If event_start is a DATE (or DATETIME) column (and it SHOULD be), and you have an index on it (and you SHOULD), that query will never use the index. You would be better served to use:

event_start = '" . $year . '-' . $month . '-' . $dayArray["mday"] . "'"

if it is a DATE column. If it is DATETIME, you need to use a little different condition.

Note (2): You should avoid running queries in a loop. If you are doing a full month (or even week) calendar, then select all of the data for the time period, load it in an array and THEN build the output. Running queries in a loop uses a lot of unnecessary resources communicating with the database and will take longer than it should.

Holy Crap it worked, thank you DavidAM never thought of putting the () around them, have been fighting with this all day and that is the one thing I never tried. Yeah and the event_start sounds like a better way of doing that. Thank you.

And on Note 2, That is a good idea, thank you. Will rewite the code for that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.