Problems with RSS Reader in Elgg

ZingZangTop

I'm trying to install this rss reader into an Elgg system.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_rss_reader.asp

But I'm getting these error messages:

Warning
: DOMDocument::load() [
]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in
/home/www/mydomain.com/news/getrss.php
on line

Warning
: DOMDocument::load(
) [
]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in
/home/www/
mydomain.com
/news/getrss.php
on line

Warning
: DOMDocument::load() [
]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "
" in
/home/www/
mydomain.com
/news/getrss.php
on line

Fatal error
: Call to a member function getElementsByTagName() on a non-object in
/home/www/
mydomain.com
/news/getrss.php
on line

Is that something anyone can help with, or am I not supplying you with enough information? Any help or comment is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

FYI SimpleXML is much simpler to use.

$xml = new SimpleXMLElement("rss source here since you can't use URLs", 0, false); // if you use a URL change false->true
$channel = $xml->channel;
echo "<p><a href='{$channel->link}'>{$channel->title}</a><br />{$channel->description}</p>\n";
foreach ($channel->item as $item) {
    echo "<p><a href='{$item->link}'>{$item->title}</a><br />{$item->description}</p>\n";
}

And please try to avoid W3Schools. They have some good information and some bad information and if you're learning PHP it can be difficult to tell which is which.

Edited by requinix

Yes I'm afraid so requinix. Thanks so much for your help. I'm probably doing something totally moronic somewhere, half dressed, spilling coffee on my t-shirt. But here's from a fresh phpinfo: (main domain showing content from a folder on a subdomain, relevant? (he asks trembling)). allow_url_fopen On On

How would I go about finding crazy fanatic Apple fanboys (like myself), who refuse to listen to 'reason' ....and who also knows php ? :)

We need 'developers developers developers developers' to quote Mr. Ballmer.

I've been working on a social network site for Apple users for 5 years. Unfortunately I wasted years on the Ning platform, but it taught me html and css, while php to me still looks like the aliens have landed and taken over digital print as we know it.

In january I switched to Elgg (a homebrewed 'thinking different' way of using it) and basically changed it from a social network to a social network platform, in the sense that anyone now can create their own community space. A programmer has been helping (20 hour shifts for about a month, and is now burned out in a retirement home).

Thanks for getting back to me requinix! I'm using the code linked at the top of the thread: http://www.w3schools..._rss_reader.asp

Maybe the problem is in how I add the getrss.php file to the Elgg root folder on my server, and add the script and html via an Elgg plugin (AnyPage), but I had a complete solution running prior with javascript and rssinclude.com - but now we wanna try and build our own solution with php and database instead. This here is just the first step in a process. Unfortunately it's already causing problems as you can see.

It doesn't ! :)

Honestly I have very little understanding about whether or not I'm allowed to put this file inside an www.elgg.org installation. We just had another developer join us, and we are still looking for more. I hope we gonna crack it.

requinix you da bomb. Thanks so much for your eager to help out. I wish you were a Mac-Unix user so you could join us !

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.