Please Suggest a Framework

santosh22

I am working on a custom application design which is going to be used for tracking the document (by physical location) & some short of billing. 

I have gone through CakePHP & CodeIgniter but I am not sure if those are helpful to build up custom applications like this. Can anyone suggest a simple framework for me. I am looking forward to the below

1. simple functions to manage common activities like interacting with database, managing session etc.

2. Good security module with Hashing and other security features

3. In-build functionalities like data grid, pagination etc. 

Any help is highly appreciated. 

Hello,

As an framework I'd like to suggest symfony2, due to its modern standard and great possibilities. It features a build in authentication system. As for the pagination there are modules for that which can easily be installed in your application. I thought the name was KnpPaginatorBundle.

As for the database symfony2 comes with doctrine 2 with is an powerful orm/dbal. You can abstract your database work into php classes wich is rather nice. The documentation can get you started on the framework, it is not complete. But it does explain things pretty well (in my opinion)

Edited by Mad programmer

Symfony and Zend Framework are always the top frameworks to use, they just aint that easy for beginners but this should not be an issue for you if you are an advanced programmer. If you just want to learn more about how other frameworks design their own MVC framework so that someday you will make your own, Id suggest codeigniter.

Edited by Hall of Famer

Symfony and Zend Framework are always the top frameworks to use

In your opinion of course.

Frameworks are a very subjective matter.

If you just want to learn more about how other frameworks design their own MVC framework so that someday you will make your own, Id suggest codeigniter.

But codeignitor is probably the worst designed framework out there. Why teach yourself bad code?

Congratulations on finding a desired framework for yourself. For beginners really, Symfony and Zend aint the appropriate choices for them due to the learning curve issue. CakePHP, Codeigniter and Yii are much easier to get used to, well Symfony and Zend are for advanced and professional programmers.

• 5 weeks later...

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's well designed.

Codeignitor is easy to use, and therefore has a pretty good following of people who are new to frameworks and don't know any better.

From a design perspective, CI is absolute rubish. I know people who were at one point in time making all of there cash through building web sites on top of this platform. Even these guys (who were being flown around the world for work) have moved to other, more modern, better designed frameworks and are once again, making a killing.

Yes using CI here first time so far so good fast too only main issue having is setting the right .htaccess and encrypt decrypt issues other then that give laravel a try too looks promising, as been said you need to experiment what it s best for you.
Still CI has lots of community help behind it, fast and reliable with many tutorials to learn from...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How can a framework give you a tuff time to install? It's a php library.

Symfony2 can be a pain to install for not so experienced programmers. Specifically due to file permission issues. They even highlight this in their own documentation. I wouldn't really call it 'just a library', when it requires advanced command line usage.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's well designed.

Codeignitor is easy to use, and therefore has a pretty good following of people who are new to frameworks and don't know any better.

From a design perspective, CI is absolute rubish. I know people who were at one point in time making all of there cash through building web sites on top of this platform. Even these guys (who were being flown around the world for work) have moved to other, more modern, better designed frameworks and are once again, making a killing.

You still haven't backed up your claim that CI is poorly designed and 'absolute rubbish' with any examples of why? I don't think you can judge a framework on how much money people make from developing using that framework. Just because something is (or more importantly, is not) trendy, doesn't mean it is the best / worst.

Codeigniter is a great framework for projects where you may have no choice but to use shared hosting, with perhaps a not so up-to-date version of PHP. In that situation, choosing CI could save you a lot of time and stress.

Sometimes I think it is just considered 'cool' to shun simple and effective for overly complex and superflous.

advanced command line usage

Advanced command line usage? I wouldn't say so.

You still haven't backed up your claim that CI is poorly designed and 'absolute rubbish' with any examples of why?

CI:

1) Is untested.

2) Is tightly coupled and therefore can never be well tested

3) Is very tightly coupled.

4) Is has very poor implementations of common patterns.

5) Has some of the ugliest code around.

The only good thing CI has going for it is its documentation, and even that, is nothing extraordinary IMO.

Trq,

I have some projects on CI. I don't have any recent experience with any other php frameworks. I only have a small development team and don't have a lot of extra resource to spend on investigation.

I am interested if you, or anyone else, have any meaningful suggestions on a better framework or two that we should investigate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Trq,

OK maybe I was a bit dramatic saying Symfony requires advanced command line usage ;) But it is definitely more troublesome to configure than CI.

I have used both CI and Symfony2, and I feel they both have advantages/dissadvantages. Symfony2 can sometimes feel ridiculously over complex at times and make me want to bang my head against the wall. 

To be honest, I don't know that much about design patterns, but if CI is so poorly designed, why would someone like Phil Sturgeon, who seems to be well respected in the PHP world, work on it for so long?

Jessica,

I'm thinking about using Yii for next project. Would you recommend it over Symfony2? I want a framework that is fun, and Symfony isn't (IMO).

Cheers All,

Jon

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.