Problem logging out of an application?

All I'm having a problem where the users can't logout of OCS, they have to close the browser.  I'm asking if there is some configuration settings in the PHP.ini file that might cause this problem?  I've asked over in the OCS forum, and was told to check out the PHP config settings.  That it might be something to do with the caching, sessions, or cookies.

I'm looking at  settings such as - session.cookie_lifetime, mine is set to 0.  The php config manual explains 0 for that setting "means until the browser is closed."

HTTP Response Headers, the Cache-Control - max age = 1728000

The Apache .htaccess file don't have anything in it about cookies, sessions, etc.

I've been searching the web for clues, I've searched this forum and the OCS forum.  As far as I know this has problem with the logout from the OCS app has always existed.  I inherited this system after the previous admin left almost two years ago.  This problem has only been recently brought to my attention.

I'm in over my head but I have to start somewhere.  If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

PKP Open Conference Systems ver 2.3.5  aka OCS

Linux version 2.6.26-1-686,
Debian Lenny (gcc version 4.1.3 20080704)
mysql  - ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a
nginx - ver  nginx/0.6.32

PHP 5.2.6-1

Apache is 2.2

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.