Negatives of using Symfony2?

johnsmith153

Are there any particular negatives of using Symfony 2 (over say another framework)? I have never looked at it before, but thought I might give it a try. What are the 'known' bad points?

Obviously there are many positives, but any negatives will help me decide if to put the time towards this. Obviously I could just dive in, but as (like everybody) my time is limited (I'm learning other non-programming things) I want to do some research first. If I do look at it, I want to know enough to create a full application, not just to play around.

I've done plenty of research, but there's nothing better than asking a regular user of it.

I've heard that it isn't very extensible. Is this true?

Are there any particular parts that another framework does so much better?

I'm aware it's considered difficult to learn, but I'm sure I can get past that with hard work.

Any other advice regarding starting out with Symfony2 would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

I've heard that it isn't very extensible. Is this true?

No, and I have no idea where you would here such a comment.

Are there any particular parts that another framework does so much better?

Symfony2 isn't perfect, sure, but it does most things very well.

I'm aware it's considered difficult to learn, but I'm sure I can get past that with hard work.

It definately isn't the easiest framework to lear, but if you have a good grasp of OOP & design patterns you should feel at home pretty quickly.

Any other advice regarding starting out with Symfony2 would be appreciated.

Learn OOP and at least the most common design patterns first.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.