Using PDO

Lyleyboy

Hey all,

I'm just starting to get on the PDO bandwagon with PHP.

One thing I do a lot is to fetch the result of a query straight into a variable using list. Something like

list($name) = mysql_fetch_row(mysql_query("SELECT name FROM names WHERE userID='1'"));

Is there a similar thing I can do with PDO rather than having to loop through with a while or similar.

Thanks in advance.

That is a terrible coding practice I'm sorry, and is something I would definitely try not to replicate again ever.

What if mysql_query fails? Using your method you have absolutely no way of handling it at all properly.

Yeah I accept that and I always code round it, to ensure that the value is present and in the correct format.

So what's the easiest way then? Do I still have to loop through, even though there will only be one record posted.

I'm kind of hoping there will be an easier way.

Thanks

You shouldn't accept it, that is horrible coding practice.

Both the SQL statement and the mysql_query() return should be stored in variables and checked.

But, to address you question, use that example without the looping logic if the query is to grab only 1 row.

While I agree with @trq, let's just be clear about this looping. It is never required that you loop through a result set. If you know it returns a single row (or only want the first row), you can leave out any while or for processing and just fetch the first row.

Well, that's the way it is/was in mysql, and I do it that way with mysqli. I have not played with PDO yet, but I see no reason this should not apply there as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.