mysqli_real_escape_string() throwing error

n1concepts
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

Hi,

Can someone take a look at the two snippets of code and tell me what am I doing wrong to cause the following error?

Error: Warning: mysqli_real_escape_string() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, string given....

Here's the code (flies - there are two - one the db_connection string and the other the script attempting to perform the insert)

<?php
// db connection string that resides in 'includes' folder

function execute($query) {
$db_con = mysqli_connect("localhost","db_user","passxxx");
mysqli_select_db($db_con, "mytable_name");
$res=mysqli_query($db_con,$query) or die(mysqli_error($db_con) . '<br />' . $query) ;
mysqli_close($db_con);
return $res;
}

?>

I know this is the (old) procedure way but I don't have the time to revamp the code to OOP - will update to PDO in coming weeks; for now, i need this set of code to work (if possible).

Now, here's the portion of the code where I want to escape string - giving two as example - which throws the (above) error.

<?php

require("includes/db_con.php");

$v1 = $_GET['v1'];\
$v2 = $_GET['v2'];
$v3 = $_GET['v3'];
// I even tried adding mysqli_real_escape_string($db_con,$v1) - as an example here but still error
$v1 = mysqli_real_escape_string(mysqli $db_con,$v1);
-----------

// Below is the function to execute MySQL Insert which pulls from the include file (db_con.php) - this is where i have the 'mysqli_real_ecape_string() defined for $v1, $v2, $v3 currently but still throwing error:

execute("insert into logs (logid,value1,value2,value3) values ('',,'$'".mysqli_real_escape_string($v1).'".mysqli_real_escape_string($v2)."','".mysqli_real_escape_string($v3)."')");

?>

Note: I know the syntax is mysqlI_real_escape_string(mysqli $link, string) - when i add 'mysqli $link - code breaks....
Issue: I switched current code from mysql to mysqli and need to launch; once up and running, i plan to go back and revise code to PDO which, I know the prefer choice - just under gun to get up and running so switched to mysqli just in interim.

Any advise to get provided snippet code running where insert possible, much appreciated - thx!

Edited by n1concepts

execute("insert into logs (logid,value1,value2,value3) values ('',,'".mysqli_real_escape_string($v1).'","'.mysqli_real_escape_string($v2)."','".mysqli_real_escape_string($v3)."')");

I missed a comma between $v1 and $v2 - however the issues still remains: Warning: mysqli_real_escape_string() expects exactly 2 parameters, 1 given

This is starting to bug me as it shouldn't be this difficult - appreciate another set of eyes to identify issue (thx!)

• Solution

Don't connect whenever you run a query - connecting takes about 100 times longer than most queries.

Variable scope - $db_con only exists within the function and not available outside.

Connect at the beginning of your script than pass the connection to functions that need it via the function parameters

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have query problem for the below point, So can some help us on this, as we are trying this one for the past 2 weeks.

exclude sunday's and time should start from 8.00Am to 6.00PM in mysql query

And The query we have is

SELECT B.ProblemID, A.problemID,A.EnclID as A_ENCLID,
B.EnclID as B_EnclID, B.EnclSubmittedTime,
(SPLIT_STR(B.enclname,"_", 1)),
B.EnclComment,B.EnclSubmittedTime,
COALESCE((TIMEDIFF(A.EnclSubmittedTime, B.EnclSubmittedTime))) AS Time_DIFF
FROM TABLE B
LEFT JOIN TABLE A ON B.EnclID < A.EnclID
AND A.problemID = B.ProblemID
and A.enclname not like 'Enclosure%'
where B.enclname not like 'Enclosure%'
and A.EnclSubmittedTime not in (
Give_Me_Dates_Days(1, B.EnclSubmittedTime, A.EnclSubmittedTime)
)
Group by B.ProblemID, B.EnclID
order by B.ProblemID ASC

If any quries, please reply to this, we will response you.

Thanks In advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.