SQL newbie needs help

john6384

Hello, I need to setup a simple sql database in order to test some queries out. What is the simplest way to set one up? I did try a free hosting package and using the phpmyadmin although that was very slow and crap. Is there any cool ways I can do this?

Thanks anyone

phpmyadmin is one of the best tools for newbies to start with, although learning to create SQL statements yourself for creating tables is also extremely helpful. i would recomend using phpmyadmin, but using the SQL entry tool and creating simple tables yourself:

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--]CREATE TABLE testTable(

id int(11) auto_increment PRIMARY KEY,

name varchar(150),

email varchar(150) UNIQUE

);

[!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

good luck!

Thanks is there not anything else that I can use - i dunno maybe i could upload something? I managed to make a table in phpmyadmin although its slow and i cannot figure out how to enter data into the table. I tried to get a free version of oracle (big file).

Cheers

Thanks is there not anything else that I can use - i dunno maybe i could upload something? I managed to make a table in phpmyadmin although its slow and i cannot figure out how to enter data into the table. I tried to get a free version of oracle (big file).

Cheers

312543[/snapback]

oracle is a totally separate database, not a tool for mysql.

the speed of phpmyadmin is really dependent on two things: your server and your connection speed. if you're not using broadband, it will be slow. there are no other free tools that i know of that are going to run any faster than this for an online tool. you can get some desktop apps that will interface with your mysql databases, but these can be tricky to setup. the speed difference may make up for the difficulty in your case, though. just run a google search on mysql tools and see what you can come up with.

I had a look on google but did not have much luck. I dont realy know what im looking for. Maybe you could give me a better idea of what im looking for. I just need to write a simple database and then do queries on it- i wish it was as simple as access.

cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.