Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect()

et4891

I installed mysql server 5.1 and no error happens during the installation so I assume everything is fine but when I'm learning and trying to use php and to connect through mysql and there is this error message saying

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\books.php on line 3

My codes are here

<?php

$db = mysqli_connect("localhost", "root", "3308") or die(mysqli_connect_error());

mysqli_select_db($db, "booksdb") or die(mysqli_error($db));

mysqli_query($db, "CREATE TABLE books(
	id INT PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
	title VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL)") or die(mysqli_error($db));

mysqli_query($db, "INSERT INTO books(id, title) VALUES(NULL, 'the nose')") or die(mysqli_error());

mysqli_query($db, "INSERT INTO books(id, title) VALUES(NULL, 'the overcoat')") or die(mysqli_error());

mysqli_query($db, "INSERT INTO books(id, title) VALUES(NULL, 'war and peace')") or die(mysqli_error());

$result = mysqli_query($db, "SELECT id, title FROM books") or die(mysqli_error());

while($record = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)){
		echo $record['id'];
		echo " ";
		echo $record['title'];
		echo "<hr/>";
	}

?>

in my php.ini file I did uncomment both

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

and of course restarted apache.  Also restarted the who machine too but that error message keeps on coming up and I have no idea how to fix it.  I searched a few forums and they all asked to make sure the extension is uncommented which they are.

Edited by et4891

• 2 years later...

your error is line 3...

<?php

$db = mysqli_connect("localhost", "root", "3308") or die(mysqli_connect_error());

mysqli_select_db($db, "booksdb") or die(mysqli_error($db));

line 3 is     $db = mysqli_connect("localhost", "root", "3308") or die(mysqli_connect_error());

I have not used mysqli howerver it will be close to mysql which I am still learning.

What I would try is combining the 2 lines above to this:

$db = mysqli_connect("localhost", "booksdb", "TABLEname") or die(mysqli_connect_error());

Good luck

Edited by Grumps

• 4 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.