Javascript multi dimensionals array with keys

Drongo_III
Go to solution Solved by Drongo_III,

Hi Guys

Super simple question. I want to create a multidimensional JS array where I can define the keys. Perhaps my mistake is using similar syntax to php but the following code throws an error in chrome console saying "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'top' of undefined "

Can anyone nudge me in the right direction on this?

var locObj = [];
locObj[1]['top'] = 200;
alert(locObj[1]['top']);

• Solution

Worked it out now.

Seems you have to declare that the first array level is an array too:

var locObj = [];
locObj[1] = [];
locObj[1]['top'] = 'twinky'

alert(locObj[1]['top']);

Just thought I would post back in case anyone else gets stuck on something similar.

Though why you can't just write it like php is hard to fathom - still that's javascript for ya!

There is a payoff - if you could do it like PHP (a 'loose' language), then it would require more overhead, slowing things down. By having to declare each element, there is less overhead, making for smoother running scripts.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.