mysqli alternative for mysql_result

clickbeast
Go to solution Solved by jcbones,

Hello,

I am new to mysqli and have a little question. I have tried to find an alternative for a while now but nothing seems to work... maybe somebody could help.

So my old code is this

function ($email) {
$query = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(`user_id`) FROM users WHERE email = '$email'")or die (mysql_error());
return (mysql_result($query, 0) == 1) ? true : false;
}

after that the function is used like this : 
if (login_email_exists($mysqli,$_POST['email']) === true) {
$errors[] = 'Sorry this email adress is already in use.';
}

And my new code is this 

function ($mysqli,$email) {
$query = $mysqli->query("SELECT COUNT(`user_id`) FROM users WHERE email = '$email'")or die (mysql_error());
return ($query == 1) ? true : false;
}

Now it seems to always go wrong when I want to check the result and return if it's true or false. If anybody can find an answer or alternative to my problem I would be very happy.

• Solution

I suggest preparing the data for database interaction instead of using the simple query() function.  The reason being is that the class does a great job with sanitation, and validation when using the bind_param() method.

function login_email_exists($mysqli,&$email) {
if(!$query = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT COUNT(`user_id`) FROM  users WHERE email = ?")) {
trigger_error($mysqli->error);
}
$query->bind_param('s',$email);
$query->execute();
$query->bind_result($count);
$query->fetch();
return ($count > 0) ? true : false;
}
Edited by jcbones

return ($count > 0) ? true : false;

Pro tip:if you are using a condition and want a Boolean as the result, there is no need to actually create a TRUE and FALSE for the result because the condition itself will be a Boolean. That is basically the same as saying If true, return true, else return false.

This will work just the same to return a Boolean:

return ($count > 0);
Edited by Psycho

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.