Username change/login issues.

On 30 Mar 2013, i changed my username from TheKiller, into what i have now(Dragosvr92).

I tried to login using the new username and it wouldnt let me.

In the email i got from the site, it displays both names. I think the username wasnt completle changed/updated in the database?

post-94518-0-79578400-1365448001_thumb.png

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=displayname

Change Display Name

You have made 0 of 1 display name changes since 08 Apr 2012. You are permitted to make 1 changes in a 365 day period.

Changing your display name will not affect your log in details.

Did you read it when you changed it?

There are many other platforms that have this - a login username and a display username. It helps keep your account secure (e.g. have a different login username so people can't try to brute force your account [although there are other protections against this]).

Uummh... Sorry but what you are saying makes absolutely no sense.

Pretty sure that maybe about 75% of users never need to change their username. So everyone could do what you said.

Even if all of them would change it. Every user is able to see the first/main username of someone in their name history popup page, from their profile.

I can see that you never changed yours, and that Jessica changed it once from jesirose. (I'm gonna hack ya both ! ::) )

Its a joke if they would really go for this "security" option. Usernames are avaivable to the public on all sites.

What if the user, as a dumb child, registers the forum with a damn stupid name..

For example; BigCo*k69. As days-years pass and he realises how dumb it is to use such a name.....

Do you think he would still want to write this everytime he logs in, after he changed his username as a reminder on how dumb he was??

Or what if he just misspelled his user. When you registered, you could have accidentally wrote "Philiop".

Would you want to login with that forever just because of a silly spelling mistake.....?

I see no point in changing your username and still keeping the first username as a login method. 

PS: How many platforms that function this way are there?

Not bashing on IP Board. It looks good. The only thing i dont like about it is this issue and that when you right click in the writing area, it displays the menu it shows on a background area, instead of the text menu with cut/copy/paste/etc..

Okay, fair point on being able to see it still. Personally, I don't really see the full use in it either, but enabling it frees up the staff from manually changing everyone's usernames and allowing the user to do it themselves.

Anyways, http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Display_name, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/separate_login_and_user_name/ (mod), etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragosvr92 I think your frustration is directed at the wrong people.  We are not developers for IPB, we simply use their product, same as thousands of other sites out there.  We have no more leverage or weight in asking for a change than you or anybody else.  You may think that we do if we show up as "the phpreaks community" vs "me, an individual" but we don't.  We've tried.  We've even had some members of our staff work as members of their staff, a "person on the inside" if you will, and even then they had little to no more leverage/weight in bringing up issues.  Their core dev team does their thing and that's pretty much the end of it.  

So if you want your suggestion considered or implemented, march yourself over to the IPB community and post your thoughts there.  Good luck with that endeavor, given what I just said, but you are certainly barking up the wrong tree arguing with us about it. 

hello

On 30 Mar 2013, i changed my username from TheKiller, into what i have now(Dragosvr92).

I tried to login using the new username and it wouldnt let me.

In the email i got from the site, it displays both names. I think the username wasnt completle changed/updated in the database?

I think first you delete the cockies because some time system used the cockies and take the old data form our cockies.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.