Copying files from one hard drive to another

The Little Guy

I have 2 hard drives in my computer tower; each hard drive has an OS on it:

1. Main hard drive has: Windows 8 (SSD)
  2. Other hard drive has: Windows 7 (IDE)

I would like to view the files on the the second hard drive (The one with windows 7 on it). I then want to copy some of the files I have have on it to my windows 8 hard drive. (php files mostly and maybe some images).

Is there some software or something that I can use to do this without having to make the second drive become my primary drive and then boot into it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to start the computer using the hard drive, and I get "NTLDR is missing"

You don't want to try and boot from the second drive, just access it from within windows.

Boot up windows 8 and open up Computer management (in win explorer, r-click Computer and select Manage). Open the Disk Management area. In there you should see your windows 7 hard drive. Select the partition you want to access and right-click on it. There should be an option that will allow you to map it to a drive letter. Once you do that you can just go into the drive via windows explorer and access the files.

You don't want to try and boot from the second drive, just access it from within windows.

Boot up windows 8 and open up Computer management (in win explorer, r-click Computer and select Manage). Open the Disk Management area. In there you should see your windows 7 hard drive. Select the partition you want to access and right-click on it. There should be an option that will allow you to map it to a drive letter. Once you do that you can just go into the drive via windows explorer and access the files.

I have tried that, but the drive doesn't show up in there.

The drive should show up, assuming it is hooked up and running. If it doesn't, maybe there is some bios option preventing it from showing up, you could check there and see if anything seems relevant.

If none of that works, you'll need to do as others have suggested and get some kind of enclosure you can put the drive into which then plugs into your USB port. Either that to try and get the windows 7 drive to boot (or use a linux live cd) and copy the files off to some other computer or external media.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.