how to show "via domain.name" in the email recipients header ?

sasori

hi, is there a way to show the e.g "via blahblah.com" in the recipients email header ?

because  if I do e.g 

"From: sender fullname <sender@email.com> via email.com"

and send the mail..what am seeing is

sender fullname<sender@email.com> via email.com                          subject

when opening the inbox, it is appended in the sender's name

what i want to see when the recipient opens the inbox is the

Full Name      subject

then when he/she clicks that row of email from the inbox,

he/she will see the 

Full Name <sender@email.com> via email.com

at the email header..is that possible in the built-in php mail function or the phpmailer library ?

coz i have browsed the manual, i can't see a solution for this

Edited by sasori

this is what i want to see in the inbox..just the name of the sender and the subject

293f3mq.png

while this is what i wanna see once you click the email row from the inbox list above 

23kf1us.png

see that from the header ? ... the "via craigslist.org" is appended at the full name of the sender, 

how to do that in phpmailer library ?

That may be a reaction to the "Sender:" header in the email.

From RFC2822 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html):

The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the message. The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message, that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the writing of the message. The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the message. For example, if a secretary were to send a message for another person, the mailbox of the secretary would appear in the "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual author would appear in the "From:" field. If the originator of the message can be indicated by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used. Otherwise, both fields SHOULD appear.

Where ever it is coming from, it is the mail client that is deciding to show it there, with the "via". Other mail clients may show it differently, or not show it at all.

That means you can try adding the "Sender: " header to the email you are sending and see if it does what you want. I have never tried it. You should be able to set it to a full email address (with display name, I think), just as you do the "From: " header.

I don't know what "points" this might get from Spam filters. But I suspect that as long as the email address belongs to the sending server, you should be OK.

If it is what I think it is, it is simply telling the user that the email came FROM the named person who authorized the "via" person/agent to send the email for them. Kinda like me telling my brother - "Go in the house right now ... mom said to"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.