League Coding Question

zephk

Hey guys. Don't know where I can ask this. I'm creating a esports gaming league and not sure where to start with the coding. I was curious what type of coding would be best for this type of system.

Join and Leave team

Create team

Multiple leagues

Team Profiles (Logo,Upcoming Matches,Roster, Biography)

Matches will be predetermined 

Each match will create a MATCHID for our anti-cheat program

ONLY the team leader can submit match results with demo upload

I know this is a broad question, but I've been doing research for awhile now. I was looking at prebuilt systems, cms's, etc.. Can you guys point me in the right direction whether its tutorials or videos?

Thanks in advanced,

Brandon

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest using a framework instead of CMS. It will allow you more flexibility and will not force you to do things in certain way. What you desire to create sounds like a very big project. You should consider starting on some smaller projects to get some experience. But that is just my opinion.

Edited by mac_gyver
link removed

Yeah I agree, This does sound like a fairly big project, if your new i would personally suggest that you start off with something smaller first,

There are alot of considerations regarding which technologies to use for a project, and varies for each one. Personally my choice for that application would probably be

Backend - PHP (Symfony2/Zend Framework 2)

FrontEnd - ExtJs (www.sencha.com) or maybe something like BackboneJS with Twitter Bootstrap

But to use those things would take a lot of learning,

Maybe try a smaller project and see how you progress, You could of course hire an experienced developer to build this on your behalf but it would be expensive

I'm creating a esports gaming league and not sure where to start with the coding.

Create a database. Read up on how to create a database and normal forms. Once you have that you can start by creating functions that will handle your requirements:

Join and Leave team

Create team

Multiple leagues

Team Profiles (Logo,Upcoming Matches,Roster, Biography)

Matches will be predetermined

Each match will create a MATCHID for our anti-cheat program

ONLY the team leader can submit match results with demo upload

You will need to flesh these out more so that you get actionable requirements like these:

Join and Leave team

Create team

function player_join_team($player_id, $team_id) {
  // .. code here
}

function player_leave_team($player_id, $team_id) {
  // .. code here
}

function team_create($name, ..other attributes..) {
  // .. code here
}
Also think about these requirements and get into details like will a player be able to join any team or does he need an invite? These things change your requirements and thus also your code. Your requirements won't always match a function, sometimes to fulfill a requirement you will need multiple functions maybe even several user actions to fulfill the requirement for example registering and verifying their e-mail address.

Having a good set of requirements and having a rough idea on how to complete them is half the battle.

Requirements generally are formed like this:

As a Team Leader, I can send invites to other players using their nickname or SteamID, So that I can recruit proven players

These come with prerequisites, something like this:

- Player is part of a Team of which he is the Team Leader and for which he is sending an invite to another Player.

- The invite is send to a Player who is not already part of the Team

Having all this information before you start to actually program will make it much easier then when you would just have:

invite players

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.