Placing text into string after certain word

Cascadia
Go to solution Solved by lemmin,

Hey there. I have a little problem that might be quite simple but is causing me much frustration.

I have a string of text known as $tp_desc

As an example I will say that the string $tp_desc contains this:
Hello this is a cool [quote]test[/quote] to figure [quote]something[/quote] out"

When I am putting the string $tp_desc on a webpage I want to insert a <div> tag in front of each [ quote ] and a </div> tag behind each [/ quote ]

So the string $tp_desc will look like this:

Hello this is a cool <div>[quote]test[/quote]</div> to figure <div>[quote]something[/quote]</div> out"

This is the code I am using to try and do this.

$b = substr($tp_desc, strpos($tp_desc, '[quote]') + 7);  // Finds the [ quote ] in the string
$c = substr($b, 0, strpos($b, '[/quote]'));  // Finds the text in between the [ quote ] and [/ quote ] tags
$replace = '<div>' . $c . '</div>'; //  Adds the <div> tags before and after the quotes
$out = str_replace($c, $replace, $tp_desc);  // Places the changed string back into the main string
echo $out; // Echos the final string

This seems to work but there are currently three problems. 

1. It only puts <div> tags around the first set of quotes and does not appear on any recurring ones.

2. Once the <div> tags have been added I need the original [ quote ] and [/ quote ] tags removed.

3. It does not work if there are two sets of quotes tags inside each other such as [ quote ] [ quote ] hello [/ quote ] what? [/ quote ]

Can anyone give me a little guidance on what to do here? It would be extremely appreciated  :D

• Solution

You can do this with a simple Regular Expression:

$tp_desc = preg_replace('/(\[quote\].+?\[\/quote\])/im', '<div>$1</div>', $tp_desc);

If you want to get rid of the

parts, just move the parentheses:
$tp_desc = preg_replace('/\[quote\](.+?)\[\/quote\]/im', '<div>$1</div>', $tp_desc);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.